Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable scope in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable scope in bash Post 302589363 by methyl on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 12:04:45 PM
Old 01-11-2012
The script is not slow for its content.
The "sar -d 30 4" statement will take 2 minutes (sample interval of thirty seconds times the four iterations). On my test the script took 2 mins 3 secs.

The process to fish out the Average lines can be improved such that we only read $TEMP1 once.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; export PATH
TEMP1="/tmp/raw-sar-output.txt$$"
TEMP2="/tmp/sorted-sar-output.txt$$"
CONT=0
sar -d 30 4 > $TEMP1
grep \^"Average" $TEMP1 | awk '{ print $5,$2 }' | sort -k 1n,1 > $TEMP2
if [ -s "$TEMP2" ]
then
   while read file;
   do
      IO=`echo $file | awk '{ print $1 }'`
      TMP_VAL=`echo $file | awk '{ print $1 }'`
      CONT=`expr $CONT + $TMP_VAL`
   echo CONT = $CONT
   done < $TEMP2
   #Echo Result
   echo $CONT
else
   rm -f $TEMP1 $TEMP2 2>/dev/null
   exit 1
fi
rm -f $TEMP1 $TEMP2 2>/dev/null
exit 0

If performance was really important, there is no need for the workfile $TEMP1 and (as Corona688 notes) the maths can be done in awk.

The other issue with your script is possibly the design. Field 5 in "sar" is the Number of Read+Write data transfers PER SECOND. Over the sample period of just 2 minutes you need some decent level of disc activity to get this figure above zero.

Finally the question I should have asked first:
Please explain the statement "execution is too slow and causes problems to the use I need it for".

(You are aware that unix systems can be configured to accumulate "sar" statistics automatically all day every day)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ variable scope and mutexes

I've been wondering if I can make mutexes much easier to use in C++ with creative use of a locking class and variable scope, but I'm not sure if things happen in the order I want. Here's pseudocode for something that could use the class: int someclass::getvalue() { int retval; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of the variable - Naga

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting, in the below script "num" is an input file which contains a series of numbers example : 2 3 5 8 I want to add the above all numbers and want the result finally outside the while loop. it prints the value zero instead of the actual expected... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagnatar
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable scope

Hi, I want to know about the variable scope in shell script. How can we use the script argument inside the function? fn () { echo $1 ## I want this argument should be the main script argument and not the funtion argument. } also are there any local,global types in shell script? if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash loops and variable scope

Hi All, I've been researching this problem and I am pretty sure that the issue is related to the while loop and the piping. There are plenty of other threads about this issue that recommend removing the pipe and using redirection. However, I haven't been able to get it working using the ssh and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1skydive
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with retaining variable scope

Hi, I use Korn Shell. Searched Forum and modified the way the file is input to the while loop, but still the variable does not seem to be retaining the final count. while read name do Tmp=`echo $name | awk '{print $9 }'` Count=`cat $Tmp | wc -l`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain Scope of the variable in UNIX

Hi All Is there is any way to maintain the scope of the variable in unix Example x=1 j=1 while do .. .... .... while do .. .. x=x+1 done #inner most while loop ends here done #outer loop ends here (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: variable and function scope and subscripts

Hi, I'm a Delphi developer new to linux, new to this forums and new to BASH programming and got a new task in my work: maintaining an existing set of BASH scripts. First thing I want to do is making the code more reliable as in my opinion it's really bad written. So here's the quest: I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rse
6 Replies

9. Programming

Variable Scope in Perl

I have to admit that i have not used Perl at all and this is a singular occasion where i have to patch an existing Perl script. I dearly hope i do not have to do it again for the next 15 years and therefore try to avoid having to learn the programming language in earnest. The OS is AIX 7.1, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/system/sar:default ser- vice writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)