Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading arguments for a shell script from file Post 302589328 by goddevil on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 10:29:25 AM
Old 01-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Code:
Host="servername"
Port="13122"
site="sitename"
Javahome="/bin/java"
platform="pb"
filelist="x.guiclient.download"
boot="bot.jar"

If you hold your parameter file in correct unix Shell format (no spaces either side of the equals sign and variables in quotes) you can set all the variables with.

Code:
. ./parameter_file_name

That is dot-space-dot-slash-filename.
Cheers Methyl.

I understand that i will be able to set the variables by using . ./parameter_file_name

But i will also need some of the variables further down in the script. For example:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
Host=servername
Port=13122
site=sitename
Javahome=/bin/java
policy=jv.policy
platform=pb
filelist=x.guiclient.download
boot=bot.jar
java -cp $boot -Djava.security.policy=$policy-codebase=http://$Host:$Port/$Filelist   /Sitename:$Site /Platform_name:$platform

I am not great with awk / sed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have other requirements to read from a file as well(i am trying to get rid of all hardcoded data) and this will help me out greatly with respect to others as well. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading runtime arguments from a file

Hi All, I am running a script which wud take a long time to complete execution ... In between, it asks for yes/no sort of confirmation from user for doing some acivities .... Now that I dont want to wait till the script executes upto this point where it needs user confirmation, is there any way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Passing arguments to a shell script from file while scheduling in cron

Hi, I have a shell script Scp_1.sh for which I have to pass 2 arguments to run. I have another script Scp_2.sh which in turns calls script Scp_1.sh inside. How do I make Scp_1.sh script to read arguments automatically from a file, while running Scp_2.sh? -- Weblogic Support (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: weblogicsupport
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading through shell script

For reading a file through shell script I am using yhe code : while read line do echo $line done<data.txt It reads all the line of that file data.txt. Content of data.txt looks like: code=y sql=y total no of sql files=4 a.sql b.sql c.sql d.sql cpp=n c=y total no of c files=1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to SQL file passed in shell script?

Hi, I am using SYBASE database. in my script i am connecting to DB via using isql. isql -U${S_USER} -S${S_SERV} -D${S_DB} -P${S_PWD} -b0 -w3000 -h0 -s"|" -i${MYDIR}/ABC.sql -oXYZ.txt << FINSQL i am taking a ABC.sql file to use the queries written in it and storing the output in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send arguments to a .exe file from a shell script

Folks , can anyone post a sample showing a way to parse a variable containing a string to a .exe file . Thanks Venu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading from a file in shell script

Hi All, I'm writing a script to read a file line by line and then perform awk function on it. I am getting an error . My file has one name in it "James". I'm expecting my o/p to be youareJamesbond James ./users.sh: line 7: =: command not found #script to read file line by line #adding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

php file unable to run shell script with arguments

echo $result=exec("./permit.sh".$_FILES); pls suggest some other method to run shell script in php .:wall::mad: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script file check throws [: too many arguments

While I am trying to check the filename/s in IF statement of a shell script (RedHat Linux 6) I am getting below error: File check: filename_time2=`date --date='yesterday' +%Y-%m-%d` cd /location/of/the/files/to/copy if then cp server.log-$filename_time2* ../archive/new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing Arguments to shell script from file is not working as expected.

Hi All, I have below simple shell script in cloudera quick start vm cenos 6 which copy file from source to destination. # file_copy.sh source_dir = ${source_dir} target = ${target_dir} cp source_dir target and my parameter file is like below #parameter_file.txt source_dir =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)