Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variables in awk statement
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers variables in awk statement Post 302588940 by birei on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 09:30:34 AM
Old 01-10-2012
Hi ysrini,

Other way:
Code:
$ awk -F\| -v vara="$a" '{ gsub( /\$/, "", vara ); split( vara, arr, /\s+/ ); for ( i in arr ) { print $arr[i] } }' infile

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing two variables in one statement

I have the following -------------------- foreach var (STO SNY WKF) set ta = 5 end --------- How can I echo both variables at the same time. Something to the effect of echo ${$var}ta But this doesn't work. Seems like it would. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables within a sed statement

I am just wondering if it's possible to refer to variables within a sed statement as follows:- cat $file | sed -e 1's/$oldtext/$newtext/' > $file as when I run the script, the variables are not recognised and nothing happens..?? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't seem to pass variables properly into a nawk statement

Ok, So up front I'm going to say that I'm a very elementary scripter, and I tend to use tools I don't fully understand, but I shotgun at something until I can get it to work...that said, I can't for the life of me understand why I can't get this to go down the way I want it to. The goal: -to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using two shell variables in single AWK statement

meas is a shell variable, and this works perfectly fine for me: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var' /abcd/efgh.txt > temp1.csv However, i want to introduce another shell variable, named, defnfile in the statement, in place of hardcoded path for efgh.txt like: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables in case statement

is it possible to call a variable in a case statement, for example lsmonth=Jan|Feb l |while read ans do mymonth=`echo $ans |awk '{print $6}'` case $mymonth in $lsmonth) echo do something ;; *) echo do something else ;; esac done I want to use $lsmonth... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Initializing multiple variables in one statement

HI, I have 5 variables var1, var2, var3, var4 and var5 I need to initialize all of them to zero. Is there a way to do it in a single line something like this var1=var2=var3=var4=var5=0. I am unable to achieve this. What is going wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paku
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables in an if statement

#!/bin/bash #timetest TIMENOW="$(date)" T1=12:00:00 echo $TIMENOW >timenow cat timenow |cut -f4 -d' ' >time1 T2=$(sed -n "${1}p" time1) echo "T1 = " $T1 echo "T2 = " $T2 if then echo $T1 else echo $T2 fi I thought scripting was simple! So why does this script result in: T1 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuchas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty with incrementing Variables and using the results in a If/else statement

Environment: BASH version: GNU bash, version 3.2.51(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris2.10) Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. OS: Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10s_u9wos_14a SPARC Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD