Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help using Awk and cut with a text file Post 302586605 by ziggy6 on Monday 2nd of January 2012 04:47:38 PM
Old 01-02-2012
Help using Awk and cut with a text file

Looking for some help on using awk and cut

I have a text file that has fixed information and want to write a script that will prompt the user for an account to search for and pint the output

The sample line that has the key information looks like this:
Code:
Statement to:                          Account Number:   100

The account number can be 5 digits and is in positions 56 to 60

I am trying to use cut with awk to search the file and print those lines with the variable the user would input, such as:
Code:
echo "    Enter the account you are searching for:"
read a
awk '$3 ~ /Account Number:   $a/ { print $0 }' filename
x="Account Number:  $a"
echo $x

The example above does not work, I need to combine awk with cut to search for "Account Number: $a".

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by Scott; 01-02-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a text file at a certain spot?

Say I do a date command and get the time from 15 minutes ago. I have a text file with the date printed out every minute or so and I want to cut the file at the date stamp given to me by the 15 minute ago time stamp. Is there an easy way to do this? Example: date +%M gives me 56 I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a field of a line in a text file?

Hi, I have text file which contains lines like : a/a/a/a/.project b/b/b/b/b/.project c/c/c/.project d/.project e/e/e/e/.project i want for all lines the last word .project should be removed and the file should look like : a/a/a/a/ b/b/b/b/b/ c/c/c/ .... how to proceed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut big text file into 2

I have a big text file. I want to cut it into 2 pieces at known point or I know the pattern of the contents from where it can separate the files. Is there any quick command/solution? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy221
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to cut the first word of a line in text file

Hi All, I would like help with a script which can get rid of the first work of all lines in text file. File 1 The name is Scott. Output : name is Scott ---------- Post updated at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:37 PM ---------- Hi ALL There is typo error in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the second line in a text file

Hi I have some problem to cut out the second line in a output file and send to a new file it's a #!/bin/bash script 1 something 2 something 3 something and after I cut 1 something 3 something New file 2 something Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut text from a file

How can I cut the text of definite length say from line no. 20 to 1000? It is trivial ques, but I am very new to Unix. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackR
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut from a text file based on value of a specific column?

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file from which I want to cut out specific columns. If the second column equals one, I want to cut out columns 1 and 5 and 6. If the second column equals two, I want to cut out columns 1 and 5 and 7. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text file in place

I have a file that i want to take only the first part of it and discard the rest, to be accurate,I need the first 137097 lines but I cant use split because I dont have enough space on my disck. I need sth to cut the file in its place (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text from a file and remove

Hello Friends, I am stuck with the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. I have a file which has say 100 lines. On the second last line I have a line from which i want to remove certain characters.. e.g CAST(CAST( A as varchar(50)) || ',' || CAST(CAST( B as varchar(50)) || ',' ||... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies
xcutsel(1X)															       xcutsel(1X)

NAME
xcutsel - interchange between cut buffer and selection SYNOPSIS
xcutsel [-toolkitoption...] [-selection selection] [-cutbuffer number] OPTIONS
xcutsel accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options as well as the following: This option specifies the name of the selec- tion to use. The default is PRIMARY. The only supported abbreviations for this option are "-select", "-sel" and "-s", as the standard toolkit option "-selectionTimeout" has a similar name. This option specifies the cut buffer to use. The default is cut buffer 0. DESCRIPTION
The xcutsel program is used to copy the current selection into a cut buffer and to make a selection that contains the current contents of the cut buffer. It acts as a bridge between applications that do not support selections and those that do. By default, xcutsel will use the selection named PRIMARY and the cut buffer CUT_BUFFER0. Either or both of these can be overridden by com- mand line arguments or by resources. An xcutsel window has the following buttons: When this button is pressed, xcutsel exits. Any selections held by xcutsel are automatically released. When this button is pressed, xcutsel copies the current selection into the cut buffer. When this button is pressed, xcutsel converts the current contents of the cut buffer into the selection. The button labels reflect the selection and cutbuffer selected by command line options or through the resource database. When the "copy 0 to PRIMARY" button is activated, the button will remain inverted as long as xcutsel remains the owner of the selection. This serves to remind you which client owns the current selection. Note that the value of the selection remains constant; if the cutbuffer is changed, you must again activate the copy button to retrieve the new value when desired. X DEFAULTS
This program accepts all of the standard X Toolkit resource names and classes as well as: This resource specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. This resource specifies the number of the cut buffer to use. The default is 0. WIDGET NAMES
The following instance names may be used when user configuration of the labels in them is desired: This is the "copy SELECTION to BUFFER" button. This is the "copy BUFFER to SELECTION" button. This is the "quit" button. BUGS
There is no way to change the name of the selection or the number of the cut buffer while the program is running. SEE ALSO
X(1X), xclipboard(1X), xterm(1X), text widget documentation, individual client documentation for how to make a selection. AUTHOR
Ralph R. Swick, DEC/MIT Project Athena xcutsel(1X)