Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two files using shell scripting Post 302586446 by roshParab on Monday 2nd of January 2012 03:24:47 AM
Old 01-02-2012
Hi,

I know we can give multiple arguments to grep which will then search in all the files (assuming there is no -v option)
what will it do in case i give -f option?

Thanks,
Rosh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compare two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting to compare N number of files located in two directories

I want to compare "N" (around 2000+) number of huge files located in a directory A against "N" files located in a different directory using Bash scripting. Please help me with any scripts available. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Compare Two Files

I have a directory with about 6 files that we receive regularly. these 6 files contain information for 3 different units, 2 for each unit. files related to a specific unit are named similarly with a change in number at the end of the file. the numbers should be sequential. for each grouping of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptman237
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for this sequence to compare

I have two input files (given below) and to compare each line of the File1 with each line of File2 starts with '>sample1'. If a match occurs and that matched line in the File2 contains another line or sequence of lines starting with "Chr" they have to be displayed in output file with that sample.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hravisankar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting: Compare pattern in two files and merge the o/p in one.

one.txt ONS.1287677000.820.log 20Oct2010 ONS.1287677000.123.log 21Oct2010 ONS.1287677000.456.log 22Oct2010 two.txt ONS.1287677000.820.log:V AC CC EN ONS.1287677000.123.log:V AC CC EN ONS.1287677000.820.log:V AC CC EN In file two.txt i have to look for pattern which column one... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files

I have two files; file A and file B. I need all the entries of file A to be compared with file B line by line. If the entry exists on file B, then save those on file C; if no then save it on file D Note :- all the columns of the lines of file A need to be compared, except the last two columns... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files using shell script

Hi i want to compare two files and i need the o/p of only difference here the files file1 achilles aedxbepo aedxbwdm01 aedxbwdm02 albedo amarice ambrister anakin anton argon artephius asgard avatar aymara (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files using Unix scripting

I have a file containing the below data obtained after running a diff command > abc 10 < abc 15 > xyz 02 <xyz 05 ..... Does anyone know how i can obtain output like : previous value of abc is 10 and present value is 15 similarly for all the comparisons in the text file (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithpatrick1
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare to values returned from sql in shell scripting?

hey i am using this code to connect to sql , store the value in variable and then compare it with another variable after some time by executing the same query but the desired result is not coming #!/bin/bash val=$(sqlplus -s rte/rted2@rel76d2 <<ENDOFSQL set heading off set feedback off... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
11 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)