Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting matching strings from different files Post 302585909 by verse123 on Thursday 29th of December 2011 02:01:33 PM
Old 12-29-2011
Thank you for the reply. However when I put in

Code:
while read A B; do echo $A Untitled.txt; done < Untitled2.txt > output

the output file I get looks like this for example:

Code:
DOG_00092 Untitled.txt
DOG_00082 Untitled.txt
DOG_00024 Untitled.txt

so basically, it is doing part of what I need it to do but instead of printing out the file 2 row that the string is found in, it is only printing out the title of the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

matching characters between strings

please send the logic or program to find the matching characters between two strings for ex string1 :abc string2 :adc no .of matching characters is 2(a,c) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: akmtcs
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings not matching

Hi, I have got two variables holding strings, if i echo them, they print the same value but if i compare the condition fails?? can somebody suggest something?? I have checked the word count too, they are also same. Thanks, Atul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
4 Replies

3. Programming

help with matching strings

In C programming how do i check if a char is equal to a vowel , like a e i o or u, small or big case. in my function i have the parameter like *word, and i am using word in a for loop, to check if its equal. i use tolower(word)=='a' || ..... but for some reason it only matches on lower case and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with finding matching position on strings

I have a DNA file like below and I am able to write a short program which finds/not an input motif, but I dont understand how I can include in the code to report which position the motif was found. Example I want to find the first or all "GAT" motifs and want the program to report which position... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking matching strings

I have a list of file names. However in some instances I might have a "-" at the beginning of the filename or an "=". For example I might have something like this set Lst = "file1 file2 file3 -file4 file5=" I want to pick up the ones having "-" at the beginning or "=" and store them in... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 2 lines from 2 files having matching strings

Hello All Unix Users, I am still new to Unix, however I am eager to learn it.. I have 2 files, some lines have some matching substrings, I would like to concatenate these lines into one lines, leaving other untouched. Here below is an example for that.. File 1 (fasta file): >292183... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohamed EL Hadi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append matching strings in a file

Hi , I am writing a shell script to check pvsizes in linux box. # for i in `cat vgs1` > do > echo "########### $i ###########" > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $2,$1,$5}'>pvs_$i > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $1}'|while read a > do > fdisk -l $a|head -2|tail -1|awk '{print $2,$3}'>pvs_$i1 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching only the strings I provide - sed

Hello.. I am currently learning sed and have found myself in some trouble.. I wrote this command: sed -ne 's/*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*/\1\2/p' and some of the output i get is : ->stockholm->paris<-stockholmpi<-tokyo->paris<-stockholmpi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jozo95
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract the partial matching strings among two files?

I have a two file as shown below, file:1 >Contig_152_415 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_420 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_472 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_484 (REVERSE SENSE) File:2 >Contig_152:49081-49929 ATCGAGCAGCGCCGCGTGCGGTGCACCCTTGTGCAGATCGGGAGTAACCACGCGCACGGC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
2 Replies
ShellQuote(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   ShellQuote(3pm)

NAME
String::ShellQuote - quote strings for passing through the shell SYNOPSIS
$string = shell_quote @list; $string = shell_quote_best_effort @list; $string = shell_comment_quote $string; DESCRIPTION
This module contains some functions which are useful for quoting strings which are going to pass through the shell or a shell-like object. shell_quote [string]... shell_quote quotes strings so they can be passed through the shell. Each string is quoted so that the shell will pass it along as a single argument and without further interpretation. If no strings are given an empty string is returned. If any string can't be safely quoted shell_quote will croak. shell_quote_best_effort [string]... This is like shell_quote, excpet if the string can't be safely quoted it does the best it can and returns the result, instead of dying. shell_comment_quote [string] shell_comment_quote quotes the string so that it can safely be included in a shell-style comment (the current algorithm is that a sharp character is placed after any newlines in the string). This routine might be changed to accept multiple string arguments in the future. I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure if the strings should be joined with blanks ($") or nothing ($,). Cast your vote today! Be sure to justify your answer. EXAMPLES
$cmd = 'fuser 2>/dev/null ' . shell_quote @files; @pids = split ' ', `$cmd`; print CFG "# Configured by: ", shell_comment_quote($ENV{LOGNAME}), " "; BUGS
Only Bourne shell quoting is supported. I'd like to add other shells (particularly cmd.exe), but I'm not familiar with them. It would be a big help if somebody supplied the details. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 ShellQuote(3pm)