Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error with TEST command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error with TEST command Post 302585477 by methyl on Wednesday 28th of December 2011 12:47:43 PM
Old 12-28-2011
After reviewing the posts on this thread, I believe that the main issue is the lack of double quote characters round strings which contain pipe characters. I'm not convinced that your most recent version (post #11) is sound (but it does appear to work).

This will probably be easier follow and easier to maintain:
Code:
header_data_file=`head -1 ABC_INVENTORY`
ABC_INVENTORY1="amount1|amount2|amount3|amount4|city|country|name1|name2|number1|number2"
if [ "${ABC_INVENTORY1}" = "${header_data_file}" ]
then
        flag="Yes"
else
        flag="No"
fi
#
echo "flag=${flag}"

./scriptname
flag=Yes

Footnote: I got the complete opposite result from pandeesh in post #8 ... as I think did Vijay81.
The script tested in post #8 can be corrected by putting double quotes round the string variables, which is itself best practice.

Last edited by methyl; 12-28-2011 at 02:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the TEST command

Hi everyone, I am new to UNIX and scripting, and I have some problems with the test command. when i try to execute the command: test 20070327.gz > 20070320.gz i try to make a charachter string comparison between the two strings or the two files, to make sure that 20070327.gz is greater than... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding Error message: A test command parameter is not valid

Hi I am getting few messages when trying to run my script from the following lines in the script if test then // SomeCode fi The messages are as follows: testing.sh: OBLIGOR_GROUP_ID: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid. testing.sh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

3. AIX

Test command

Hello, I am trying to add some tests to existing code. The code already contains some test commands. An example is as follows... ] then Does anyone know the purpose of the double equals? I would have used a single equals sign... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with test command

Plese help me on the below query. for j in *.20071231* *.ctl *.dat do ( if then cp "$base/*.*" "$base1" fi ) done My requirement is for all files that has extension *.20071231* *.ctl *.dat should be copied to another folder. But those with caaa.20071231.log... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussane
7 Replies

5. Programming

Test command name

I'm very new to C and could use a little help. I'm testing to make sure the command is running as it's proper name, if not then fail. if (strcmp(argv, "xinit") != 0) { fprintf(stdout, "name = %s length = %d\n",argv,l); usage(0); } This works if the command is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command

hello, i'v trying to use the TEST command and i have some problems with it. i am trying kill all proccess wich is greater than 25. i started with - ps -f | grep -v TTY | awk '{print $4}' but i dont know how to proceed from here.. 10x a lot, Daniel. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadiT
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition error: test: 0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command

Hi all, I would like to ask if there's something wrong with my if - else condition, i couldn't run the script perfectly due to the error in my if - else condition stating that "test: 0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command." below is the snippet of my script if && && ] then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jihmantiquilla
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with error "por: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid."

Hi, im asking for help with the next script: echo ^; then if then printf "\033 query1.sh: export TERM=vt100 export ORACLE_TERM=at386 export ORACLE_HOME=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 export ORACLE_BASE=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
8 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInteUseraContrPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals - Always use single quotes for literal strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Don't use double-quotes or "qq//" if your string doesn't require interpolation. This saves the interpreter a bit of work and it lets the reader know that you really did intend the string to be literal. print "foobar"; #not ok print 'foobar'; #ok print qq/foobar/; #not ok print q/foobar/; #ok print "$foobar"; #ok print "foobar "; #ok print qq/$foobar/; #ok print qq/foobar /; #ok print qq{$foobar}; #preferred print qq{foobar }; #preferred Use of double-quotes might be reasonable if the string contains single quote (') characters: print "it's me"; # ok, if configuration flag set CONFIGURATION
The types of quoting styles to exempt from this policy can be configured via the "allow" option. This must be a whitespace-delimited combination of some or all of the following styles: "qq{}", "qq()", "qq[]", and "qq//". This is useful because some folks have configured their editor to apply special syntax highlighting within certain styles of quotes. For example, you can tweak "vim" to use SQL highlighting for everything that appears within "qq{}" or "qq[]" quotes. But if those strings are literal, Perl::Critic will complain. To prevent this, put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow = qq{} qq[] The flag "allow_if_string_contains_single_quote" permits double-quoted strings if the string contains a single quote (') character. It defaults to off; to turn it on put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow_if_string_contains_single_quote = 1 SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)