Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp to copy only non-corrupt files Post 302585173 by LMHmedchem on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 08:46:57 PM
Old 12-27-2011
I have the new replacement drive in a new computer along with the old drive with the bad sectors. I have ubuntu 10 loaded from a flas stick and I installed ddrescue (the gnu version I think).

I'm not sure how to go about a device to device copy. I believe that the new drive (unformatted, no partitions) is sdc and the old drive with the data is sda. It would be nice to confirm this.

Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this or post a list of instructions?

The source disk with the bad sectors is NTFS with two partitions. It seems like it should be something like,

ddrescue -f -n /dev/hda /dev/hdc logfile

The example indicates this is for ext2 partitions, so I don't know if you need to do something else for NTFS.

LMHmedchem

Last edited by LMHmedchem; 12-27-2011 at 10:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

corrupt or lost data

Thank you livin Free for all your help. We removed a lot of spool files and report files. Which should have freed up some space. But now I think a major problem we have is we have lost or corrupt files which are preventing us from coming up correctly. Can we load or can you copy us a directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 GIF files corrupt during unzip

Problem occurs on one Solaris build. Every time we unzip the Jan CPU, there are several patches that error out (appears to be related to the GIF files). When we unzip the CPU on another Solaris build to a network storage area, we can execute without issue on the original machine. Any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamr72
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
RXFORMAT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       RXFORMAT(8)

NAME
rxformat - format floppy disks (2.11BSD) SYNOPSIS
rxformat special DESCRIPTION
The rxformat program formats a diskette in the specified drive associated with the special device special. Special is normally /dev/rrx0?, for drive 0, or /dev/rrx1?, for drive 1, where ``?'' is either "a" or "b" to indicate single or double density access. The ``raw'' device must be used. Single density is compatible with the IBM 3740 standard (128 bytes/sector). In double density, each sector contains 256 bytes of data. Before formatting a diskette rxformat prompts for verification if standard input is a tty (this allows a user to cleanly abort the opera- tion; note that formatting a diskette will destroy any existing data). Formatting is done by the hardware. All sectors are zero-filled. DIAGNOSTICS
`No such device' means that the drive is not ready, usually because no disk is in the drive or the drive door is open. Other error mes- sages are selfexplanatory. FILES
/dev/rrx?? SEE ALSO
rx(4) AUTHOR
Helge Skrivervik BUGS
A floppy may not be formatted if the header info on sector 1, track 0 has been damaged. Hence, it is not possible to format a completely degaussed disk. (This is actually a problem in the hardware.) 3rd Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 RXFORMAT(8)