Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian HP ProLiant DL380 G4 w/ Debian... If your familiar with this machine please help. Post 302584965 by Marcus Aurelius on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 12:18:52 AM
Old 12-27-2011
HP ProLiant DL380 G4 w/ Debian... If your familiar with this machine please help.

Hello,

I have a few questions about this server.

It has two CPU's 3.20 ghz / 800 mhz / 1MB L2
5120 MB RAM
6 hard disks on HP Smart Array 6i controller (36.4 GB Ultra320 SCSI HD each)
RAID set to RAID 5 (5 discs) with one spare (6th disk)
USB, 2 Ethernet ports, 1 ILO port, 1 SCSI port

My questions:

1.) Does this server come default with built in wireless access? If not, what do you recommend for wireless? It has PCI-X and PCI-E slots.

2.) If the processors are "Intel Xeon" CPU's.....then why is it possible to install (as I did with the live cd) this Ubuntu 11.04 version .... ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso..... Why would amd64 dvd work with Intel processors?

3.) I would LIKE to install "Debian-6.0.3-amd64-DVD.iso" When I try and load it it freezes on the detecting network hardware screen. On the HP site there is no smart start cd/dvd for Debian. It is not supported but I have read people have done this. Any experiences with Debian on this machine, and what do you suggest as the best OS to use on this machine keeping security as a priority?

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

anyone familiar with mandrake? :D

I am using Mandrake 10.1 and I was trying to use K3B to burn my files to CD. Well, I configured the recorder speed to 48X, however when I try to burn a cd, the program gets stuck and return an error 252 or something. I searched the forum and in there somewhere people mentioned about turning on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jace
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm not familiar with UNIX at all....HELP!

I need to know how to update our UNIX systems for 2007 DST. Problem is, I have no idea what version of UNIX we have or how to even find out what version it is. I work in the IT department and none of my co-workers know anything about UNIX either. So, I have two questions. First of all, how do I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcrawford575
5 Replies

3. Debian

Problem installing debian 4.0 on hp dl380 G5

ello all.. I really have a big problem installing debian 4.0 on HP dl380 G5 ,2 74 sScsi in raid 1 (mirror), after all selected options, it's freezes on getting files 125 of 125 and stops on 5% of the installation. I've try with different cd's and cd-roms so that's not the problem! Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: res5it
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR WITH 'chkcpu', please read this post.

Hello, I am using unix shell from a Unix emulator called ZOC. Basically, I checked my jobs using the command 'chkcpu'. What I get is something like this: ** cfdlab17 ** PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanay
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is any one familiar with 'chkcpu' command ?

Hello, I am using unix shell from a Unix emulator called ZOC. Basically, I checked my jobs using the command 'chkcpu'. What I get is something like this: ** cfdlab17 ** PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanay
1 Replies

6. Solaris

HP DL380 G3 vs Solaris 10

1) Does anyone know IF HP Proliant DL380 G3 is compatible to install Solaris 10 - as whenever I tried to install, it gives an error saying 'No disk found' after keying in date/time etc. 2) I found somewhere that text installation will be able to fix it - What is text installation? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
7 Replies

7. AIX

Anyone familiar with the application FMS ?

Fault Management System. I think it is an in-house application but I am not sure. So if there are people out there that know this application, I have a few questions about it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

HP DL380 g6 Riser kit

I have 2 DL380g6 servers, one server has a riser kit installed and the other does not. running rhel5.6, how from the OS can I see the riser kit is installed? lspci didn't list the riser kit, but then again I'm not entirely sure its classified as a pci device? Is there a way to see it from the OS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkeyes001
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP DL380 G6 ILO question Linux

Hi, I have Redhat Linux 5.9. I need to connect all the ILO to different switch which can support 1 Gig. How can I find if ILO port can support gigabit? I am on HP website but not able to find anything about this information. Not sure I am looking in the correct place. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

10. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 driver for HP SmartArray P410i Controller on Proliant DL380 G7?

Hi I hope this is the right forum. I am attempting to install SCO 5.0.7 on a Proliant DL380 G7 with a Smart Array P410I Controller. I need a driver for this. Can anybody point me to a download? Thanks in anticipation. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart1946
12 Replies
lsimega(7D)															       lsimega(7D)

NAME
lsimega - SCSI HBA driver for LSI MegaRAID 320-2x SCSI RAID Controller The lsimega SCSI RAID host bus adapter driver is a SCSA-compliant nexus driver that supports LSI MegaRAID 320-2x SCSI RAID devices. The lsimega driver supports standard functions provided by the SCSA interface, including RAID disk I/O and passthrough I/O to support SCSI tape and CDROM. DRIVER CONFIGURATION
The lsimega.conf file contains no user configurable parameters. Please configure your hardware through BIOS. The LSI MegaRAID 320-2x device can support up to 40 logic drivers. Note that BIOS numbers the logic drives as 1 through 40, however in Solaris these drives are numbered from 0 to 39. See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ FILES
/kernel/drv/lsimega 32-bit ELF kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/lsimega 64-bit kernel module ( only). /kernel/drv/lsimega.conf Driver configuration file (contains no user-configurable options). prtconf(1M), attributes(5), amr(7D), scsi_hba_attach(9F), scsi_sync_pkt(9F), scsi_transport(9F), scsi_inquiry(9S), scsi_device(9S), scsi_pkt(9S) Small Computer System Interface-2 (SCSI-2) 20 April 2005 lsimega(7D)