Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to open a huge text file? Post 302584909 by jim mcnamara on Monday 26th of December 2011 12:01:05 PM
Old 12-26-2011
The question is: what do you want to do?

No editor will handle that file efficiently and most won't even open it. That means you have to use a lot of unix command line tools, so we need to tell you which tools to use.

But if we do not understand what AND WHY you are going to "edit" in the big file, we cannot help you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name in gtk+

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name shown in a label widget in gtk+. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file using some tool such as gedit under gtk

how to open a text file using some tool such as gedit under gtk I list some text file names in a GtkCList . I want to open the file on when users click on the row. How to implement this ? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove FIRST Line of huge text file on Solaris

i need help..!!!! i have one big text file estimate data file size 50 - 100GB with 70 Mega Rows. on OS SUN Solaris version 8 How i can remove first line of the text file. Please suggest me for solutions. Thank you very much in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madoatz
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to examine and open a text file?

Hi I am a new to linux, i was faced a file to know is a text file but its type isnt text document and i can not open it please guide me. Regards ---------- Post updated at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:40 AM ---------- Thank you for your cooperation, my OS is a centOS 5.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkhorami76
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

cannot open text file

Hi I am a new to linux, I was faced a file to know is a text file but its type isn't text document and I cannot open it, please guide me. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkhorami76
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing in huge text file

I have huge text files (~120 MB)x100 which equivalents to ~11GB of data. The files contain pure numbers, actually the value of "phi" to 10 billion digits!! I know its huge!! Here are the last few lines of a file 0952899155 3233967444 3344925499 0276061529 7261968933 9683989044 3317145063... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuthatte
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open the file and edit/append the text

Hi i have a file like this mailboxnum 20 filename <to subsitute> fileloaction /home/dd234/ filetype txt in a directory i have set of files for ex: TT45.1.2 TT45.1.3 TT45.1.4 . . in for loop i have to take this files and subsitute one by one ex: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output only first 400 bytes of a huge text file

How do I output only the first 400 bytes of a huge text file to a new file. It has to be unmodified so no added invisible characters. Many thanks..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open the linux text file in windows

Hi friends, help me i downloaded some file from the Linux and i copied it to windows.Now i am unable to open those file. please help me how to open those file. the files are something like test.tcl note.tcl Thanking you Praveen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakumar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
KATE(1) 							 KDE User's Manual							   KATE(1)

NAME
kate - Advanced text editor for KDE SYNOPSIS
kate [-s, --start name] [--startanon] [-n, --new] [-b, --block] [-p, --pid pid] [-e, --encoding name] [-l, --line line] [-c, --column column] [-i, --stdin] [-u, --use] [KDE Generic Options] [Qt Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Kate is the KDE Advanced Text Editor. Kate also provides the editor part for various applications, under the name KWrite. Some of Kate's many features include configurable syntax highlighting for languages ranging from C and C++ to HTML to bash scripts, the ability to create and maintain projects, a multiple document interface (MDI), and a self-contained terminal emulator. But Kate is more than a programmer's editor. Its ability to open several files at once makes it ideal for editing UNIX(R)'s many configuration files. This document was written in Kate. OPTIONS
-s, --start name Start Kate with a given session. --startanon Start Kate with a new anonymous session, implies -n. -n, --new Force start of a new Kate instance (is ignored if start is used and another Kate instance already has the given session opened), forced if no parameters and no URLs are given at all. -b, --block If using an already running Kate instance, block until it exits, if URLs given to open. -p, --pid pid Only try to reuse kate instance with this pid (is ignored if start is used and another Kate instance already has the given session opened). -e, --encoding name Set encoding for the file to open You can use this to force a file opened in utf-8 format, for instance. (The command iconv -l provides a list of encodings, which may be helpful to you.) -l, --line line Navigate to this line -c, --column column Navigate to this column -i, --stdin Read the contents of stdin -u, --use Use an already running Kate instance; default, only for compatibility SEE ALSO
More detailed user documentation is available from help:/kate (either enter this URL into Konqueror, or run khelpcenter help:/kate). There is also further information available at the Kate website[1]. EXAMPLES
To open a file named source.cpp at column 15, line 25, in an existing Kate window, you could use: kate -c 15 -l 25 -u source.cpp If you have an active internet connection, you can take advantage of KDE's network transparency to open a file from an ftp site. If you do not have write permission on the remote server, the file will be opened read only and you will be prompted for a local filename to save to if you make changes. If you do have write permission, changes will be saved transparently over the network. kate ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/README AUTHORS
The maintainer of Kate is Christoph Cullmann<cullmann@kde.org>. A comprehensive list of authors and contributors is available in the complete user manual mentioned above. AUTHOR
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> Author. NOTES
1. the Kate website http://kate-editor.org/ K Desktop Environment 2010-10-06 KATE(1)