Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Not getting full name of last logged-in user in linux Post 302584808 by prasankn on Monday 26th of December 2011 01:09:34 AM
Old 12-26-2011
not getting full name of last logged-in user in linux

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

I try to identify the owner of a linux machine with login history. I used last unix command to get the list,parse and get the first username from the list. This is my assumption. But last command shows only 8 characters and i am looking for some other solution to my problem. Sorry for not explain this in my previous post.

Please let me know, is there any alternate way to find the owner (one of the login names) in linux machines.

I have this issue in Redhat 8+,Ubuntu-10.X and in Mandriva 2010 version

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is user logged on??

How can i check to see if a user is logged on to the network? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: provo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

user logged on?

Hi, What commands do i need to check if a user is logged on to the network? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: provo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script on user who logged in????

writing a script that will check every 5 seconds whether a particular user has logged into the system # Determine if someone is logged on # Version 4.0 if then echo “ Incorrect number of arguments” echo “Usage: $ ison4 <user>” else user=“$1” if who | grep “$user” > /dev/null then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim187
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send email as a different user than the user logged in

Hi I am using mailx to send email and am wondering if there is a way I can send the email from a different user than the user logged in. something like do-not-reply@xyz.com Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can one know how much time user logged?

Hello, i know who command gives you the time when particular user logged in. And subtracting today's date and time from the one found in who we can get how much time user logged in. But this can get very much clumsy as we can't subtract date directly in unix . Is there any other way or command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Logged In The Most - Bash

Hi, first time poster, newbie to Bash. I'm looking to get the username of the user who's been logged into a computer the most / longest. I am new to Bash but am familiar with other scripting languages, mainly PHP. So I have a general idea about how to go about the script logic, but don't know... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panman82
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does running a cron job of a user require the user to be logged in?

Suppose user 'asdf' is not logged into server 'bbbb', but the server is up. User 'asdf' has cron job. Will it be executed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to confirm an user logged in is a remote user?

How do I confirm if a user logged in, is remote or local? In the case if the user is remote, how to be sure what authentication/method is it using, like LDAP, NIS or other? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

current logged in user

Hey guys I need a script that reads a login name and verifies if that user is currently logged in i have found few commands like "who" and "users" but i wonder how can i verify it that login name is logged in or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last user logged in

hi! How can I find into: /var/log/messages.4 /var/log/messages.3 /var/log/messages.2 /var/log/messages.1 /var/log/messages The last user do a login? (for example user1) My idea is to search by the pattern "Accepted password for" buy I necessary search into all files first and in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guif
2 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)