Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change the orders of the lines in a txt according to its length Post 302584505 by birei on Friday 23rd of December 2011 11:54:58 AM
Old 12-23-2011
Hi Henryyy,

One solution using Perl:

Code:
$ cat infile
a/b/c/d
a/b/c
b/f/g/v/m
$ cat script.pl
use warnings;
use strict;

@ARGV == 1 or die qq[Usage: perl $0 input-file\n];

my %line;

while ( <> ) {
        chomp;
        $line{ tr#/#/# } = $_;
}

for ( sort { $b <=> $a } keys %line ) {
        printf qq[%s\n], $line{ $_ };
}
$ perl script.pl infile
b/f/g/v/m
a/b/c/d
a/b/c

Regards,
Birei

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pivot variable record length file and change delimiter

Hi experts. I got a file (500mb max) and need to pivot it (loading into ORCL) and change BLANK delimiter to PIPE |. Sometimes there are multipel BLANKS (as a particular value may be BLANK, or simply two BLANKS instead of one BLANK). thanks for your input! Cheers, Layout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniform length for all the lines in file

Hi, I have a file with different width for each line. like first line with 45characters and second line of 30 characters. But I want to make all the lines to 45 characters in file. Appreciate your inputs Thanks Arun: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arund_01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines where line length is < x

Hi all, I am using Sed to convert a log file into a csv, so far so good. Kudos to this forum for helping me thus far! My current problem. There are some lines in the log file that I do not want. How can I delete lines where the line legth is less than say 100? Here are some sample lines... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Rocco
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to cp lines x->y from 1.txt into lines a->b in file2.txt

I have one base file, and multiple target files-- each have uniform line structure so no need to use grep to find things-- can just define sections by line number. My question is quite simple-- can I use sed to copy a defined block of lines (say lines 5-10) from filename1.txt to overwrite an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in file1.txt not found in file2.txt memory problem

I have a diff command that does what I want but when comparing large text/log files, it uses up all the memory I have (sometimes over 8gig of memory) diff file1.txt file2.txt | grep '^<'| awk '{$1="";print $0}' | sed 's/^ *//' Is there a better more efficient way to find the lines in one file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change variable length field?

Hello, I have a file with a date field with various lengths. For example: m/d/yyyy hh:mm or h:mm mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm or h:mm Is there a way using sed or awk to change the field to m/d/y ? I don't need the hours and minutes in that field, just the date in the proper format. Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonnyo916
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate fixed length txt file

hi, i am using below query to generate the fixed length txt file. this sql is being called from shell script. This is supposed to be a fixed record file with the below definitions. There must be 2 byte filler after the CAT_ID AND each line should have total of 270 bytes. field ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itzkashi
1 Replies
uuencode(n)					       Text encoding & decoding binary data					       uuencode(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uuencode - UU-encode/decode binary data SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require uuencode ?1.1.4? ::uuencode::encode string ::uuencode::decode string ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the uuencode(1) and uudecode(1) commands. This encoding packs binary data into printable ASCII characters. ::uuencode::encode string returns the uuencoded data. This will encode all the data passed in even if this is longer than the uuencode maximum line length. If the number of input bytes is not a multiple of 3 then additional 0 bytes are added to pad the string. ::uuencode::decode string Decodes the given encoded data. This will return any padding characters as well and it is the callers responsibility to deal with handling the actual length of the encoded data. (see uuencode). ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) UUDecode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, mode value and data. OPTIONS
-filename name Cause the uuencode or uudecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter. -name string The uuencoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat". -mode octal The uuencoded data header line contains a suggested permissions bit pattern expressed as an octal string. To change the default of 0644 you can set this option. For instance, 0755 would be suitable for an executable. See chmod(1). EXAMPLES
% set d [uuencode::encode "Hello World!"] 2&5L;&\@5V]R;&0A % uuencode::uudecode $d Hello World! % set d [uuencode::uuencode -name hello.txt "Hello World"] begin 644 hello.txt +2&5L;&@5V]R;&0` ` end % uuencode::uudecode $d {hello.txt 644 {Hello World}} BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category base64 of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
encoding, uuencode CATEGORY
Text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts base64 1.1.4 uuencode(n)