Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system Post 302584298 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 05:23:22 PM
Old 12-22-2011
It's having difficulty reading the flash drive, for sure. A reboot would be a good start.

Even if it starts working again, back up that drive just to be safe.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a ufs file system?

Hello, On a box with Solaris 10 I created a ufs file system and now I need to remove that file system. How do I remove a ufs file system on Solaris 10? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read only file system

Hi, Has any one worked on IPSO operating system. I have a to add a file to /etc directory. When I create a file it comes up with read only file system. Is there any way of adding a file to this directory, without changing the etc directory parameters. Br, Eugene (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene777
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last character in a string read from file

Hello, The last character is a comma , I have tried the following: sed -e 's/\,$//' filename-to-read however - there are still commas at the end of each line...:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

8. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies
clri(1M)																  clri(1M)

NAME
clri - clear inode SYNOPSIS
special i-number ... DESCRIPTION
The command clears the inode i-number by filling it with zeros. special must be a special file name referring to a device containing a file system. For proper results, special should not be mounted (see WARNINGS below). After is executed, all blocks in the affected file show up as "missing" in an of special (see fsck(1M)). This command should only be used in emergencies. Read and write permission is required on the specified special device. The inode becomes allocatable. WARNINGS
The primary purpose of this command is to remove a file that for some reason does not appear in any directory. If it is used to clear an inode that does appear in a directory, care should be taken to locate the entry and remove it. Otherwise, when the inode is reallocated to some new file, the old entry in the directory will still point to that file. At that point, removing the old entry destroys the new file, causing the new entry to point to an unallocated inode, so the whole cycle is likely to be repeated again. If the file system is mounted, is likely to be ineffective. DEPENDENCIES
operates only on file systems of type SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), fsdb(1M), ncheck(1M). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
clri: SVID2, SVID3 clri(1M)