Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting swapping the values of variable! Post 302584205 by balajesuri on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 11:23:43 AM
Old 12-22-2011
Initially, x = 3, y = 2
x = x - y # Capture the difference of two variables in x --> x = 3 - 2 = 1
y = y + x # Add the difference to y to get the initial value of x --> y = 2 + 1 = 3
x = y - x # Subtract the difference from y to get the initial value of y --> x = 3 - 1 = 2

Finally, x = 2, y = 3.

But this won't work for variables containing string values. In such cases, you'd have to go for methods as suggested by methyl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in variable

Hi All, Here is the description of the problem. I am scripting for database access using k-shell on solaris box dbaccess <databasename> - << EOF 2>/dev/null | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}\ {printf "%s", $1}' | grep -v "^$" | \ read cnt1 OUTPUT TO PIPE cat WITHOUT HEADINGS select count(*) from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute variable values

Hi, I am trying to redefine the value of a variable based on another variable value. And I want to read in my variables from a enviroment file in the end -- at least I think so. But 1st here's what I want I need to get working: var_1="11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" var_2=3 var_3=4 So I want... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Rihn
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning values to a variable

i try to get the year and month values using the below shell script when i enter the script like this #!/usr/bin/ksh dd=`DATE +%Y%M` echo $dd it is showing the error as shown below abc.ksh: DATE: not found any suggestions please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting values from variable in a loop

I have a set of variables: f1="./someFolder" . . f10="./someOtherFolder" And I'm trying to use the following loop for (( i = 0; i <= 10; i++ )) do temp=f$i done I'm trying the get the values from my set of variable to make directories, but I can't seem the get those value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriuz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable with several values and spaces.

Hello all. I am a newb obviously and a bit stumped on this, so any help gratefully accepted. The script is extracting metadata from individual mp3 files, then (hopefully will be) sorting them into newly-created subdirectories. I have filtered out the relevant metadata and have the album names... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoovy
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable is not substituting values

Hi All, OS HPUX 11.11 I am using following script to take controlfile backup. I have used SID variable to hold "ffin1" value, which I again subsitute in "'/db/ffin1/home/oraffin1/$SID_$wdate.ctl'" command. Well, after running this, SID variable does not subsittue it's value, while wdate... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing and swapping the Values in the files

Hi all we have a file ONE like this 12345 98765 67222 74252 76991 90091 and we have one more file TWO like huiiii 67jjjj u988 99999 uj99j 98765 hujg 7yhh ij999 78688 ijo99 74252 Now i want create THREE file which is like huiiii 67jjjj u988 12345 uj99j 98765 hujg 7yhh ij999... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polineni
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtracting values from variable

Legends, Please help me in , how do i subtract the variable values listed like below. the first value of orig should be subtracted from first value of prev and so on. san> echo $orig 346 316 340 239 410 107 291 139 128 230 167 147 159 159 172 116 110 260 177 0 177 169 168 186 165 366 195... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping a string of numbers between higher and lower order values(HEX)

I have this below string in a variable cutString=21222222222222222122222222222222 this string is nothing but hex values depicted as below 21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22:21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22 so what i want to achieve is swap the lower order with higher order values in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies
cmp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cmp(1)

NAME
cmp - Compares two files SYNOPSIS
cmp [-l | -s] file1 file2 STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cmp:XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Prints the byte number (decimal) and the differing bytes (octal) for each difference. Does not print data for differing files; returns only an exit value. OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be compared. The path name of a file to be compared. DESCRIPTION
The cmp command compares two files. If file1 or file2 is - (dash), standard input is used for that file. It is an error to specify - for both files. By default, the cmp command prints no information if the files are the same. If the files differ, cmp prints the byte and line number where the difference occurred. The cmp command also specifies whether one file is an initial subsequence of the other (that is, if the cmp command reads an End-of-File character in one file before finding any differences). Usually, you use the cmp command to compare nontext files and the diff command to compare text files. Note that bytes and lines reported by cmp are numbered from 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The files are identical. The files differ. This includes files of different lengths that are identical in the first part of both files. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To determine whether two files are identical, enter: cmp prog.o.bak prog.o The preceding command compares the files prog.o.bak and prog.o. If the files are identical, a message is not displayed. If the files differ, the location of the first difference is displayed. For instance: prog.o.bak prog.o differ: byte 5, line 1 If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o.bak is displayed, then the first part of prog.o is identical to prog.o.bak, but there is addi- tional data in prog.o. If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o is displayed, it is prog.o.bak that is the same as prog.o but also contains addition data. To display each pair of bytes that differ, enter: cmp -l prog.o.bak prog.o This compares the files and then displays the byte number (in decimal) and the differing bytes (in octal) for each difference. For example, if the fifth byte is octal 101 in prog.o.bak and 141 in prog.o, then the cmp command displays: 5 101 141 . . . ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of cmp: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: comm(1), bdiff(1), diff(1), diff3(1), sdiff(1) Standards: standards(5) cmp(1)