Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date check script (noob)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Date check script (noob) Post 302583886 by methyl on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 01:44:03 PM
Old 12-21-2011
Please state what Operating System and version you have and what Shell you prefer. With anything to do with "date" the solution will depend on whether you have the GNU version of the "date" command.
In this case it will also depend on whether you can plan for implementation in 30 days time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file date check script

I am creating a KSH script and need to check the filedate against the system date. I can get the sys date w. date command, and I was able to get the filedate w. the awk command but when I compare them w. an if condition statement I get syntax error. Not sure what's wrong, and other suggestions on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaxconsultant
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to check file date and size

Hi guys, i am new to perl. I started reading the perl documents and try to come up with some logic. I am trying to create a script that would go into a location, search for todays files, then searches for all .txt files from today. If todays not found, its an error If file size is less... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
26 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to compare files, check current date and count

Hello - I have written the following basic shell script to count files, compare files and look for a particular strings in a file. Problem 1: How do I define more than 1 file location? #!/bin/bash #this is a test script FILES=$(ls /home/student/bin/dir1, home/student/bin/dir2)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check file with previous date

Hi all,I need your help to create the script.I need a script to check the ZIP file at network location with yesterday date name. ZIP file creation date is current date, but name of the zip file is previous date. for example file name "20110216.zip" created today 201102017.I just want to return the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepaksingla
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path.

Please help, I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path. I want output as: DATE: YYYYMMDD HH:MM ------------------------------------------------ fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akeji
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a Date Check Script

I have about 100 Linux servers running in Amazon EC2 (CentOS 6 based) and I need to run a 'date' command against all of them. Rather than logging into each individual server via 'ssh' and running the 'date' command, can someone please help me with how something like this can be scripted? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmennens
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in script to check file name with todays date

I am trying to include a snippet in my script to check if the file created is having today's date. eg: File name is : ABC.YYYYMMDD-nnn.log The script should check if 'YYYYMMDD' in the above file name matches with today's date. Can you please help me in achieving this. Thanks in advance!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a Script to read Log string and check date at the same time

I need to check 1 log file, which is logging: 2014-08-18T09:10:39+02:00 user: XXXXX START FEATURE 2014-08-18T09:10:39+02:00 user: XXXXX FINISH FEATURE I first need to check that the START FEATURE starts and finish on the same time/date for the same user, which is different each time START... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBest43
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check current date file is created and with >0 kb or not for multiple directories

Hi All, I am new in scripting and working in a project where we have RSyslog servers over CentOS v7 and more than 200 network devices are sending logs to each RSyslog servers. For each network devices individual folders create on the name of the each network devices IP addresses.The main... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pinaki
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user?

Say I have this line: read -p "Enter 3 numbers: " num1 num2 num3; I want to write a while loop that repeatedly asks for input if the number of inputs entered is not equal to 3. I don't know the correct command to find the number of inputs entered. Help, please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jejemonx
4 Replies
SHADOW(5)                                                  File Formats and Conversions                                                  SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - shadowed password file DESCRIPTION
shadow is a file which contains the password information for the system's accounts and optional aging information. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains 9 fields, separated by colons (":"), in the following order: login name It must be a valid account name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means). This field may be empty, in which case no passwords are required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/shadow file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is empty. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. date of last password change The date of the last password change, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The value 0 has a special meaning, which is that the user should change her password the next time she will log in the system. An empty field means that password aging features are disabled. minimum password age The minimum password age is the number of days the user will have to wait before she will be allowed to change her password again. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no minimum password age. maximum password age The maximum password age is the number of days after which the user will have to change her password. After this number of days is elapsed, the password may still be valid. The user should be asked to change her password the next time she will log in. An empty field means that there are no maximum password age, no password warning period, and no password inactivity period (see below). If the maximum password age is lower than the minimum password age, the user cannot change her password. password warning period The number of days before a password is going to expire (see the maximum password age above) during which the user should be warned. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no password warning period. password inactivity period The number of days after a password has expired (see the maximum password age above) during which the password should still be accepted (and the user should update her password during the next login). After expiration of the password and this expiration period is elapsed, no login is possible using the current user's password. The user should contact her administrator. An empty field means that there are no enforcement of an inactivity period. account expiration date The date of expiration of the account, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. Note that an account expiration differs from a password expiration. In case of an account expiration, the user shall not be allowed to login. In case of a password expiration, the user is not allowed to login using her password. An empty field means that the account will never expire. The value 0 should not be used as it is interpreted as either an account with no expiration, or as an expiration on Jan 1, 1970. reserved field This field is reserved for future use. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/shadow- Backup file for /etc/shadow. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), su(1), sulogin(8). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SHADOW(5)