Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Code explanation?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Code explanation? Post 302583639 by kotsos13 on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 01:27:29 AM
Old 12-21-2011
As far as i know he will teach us the awk command on the next lesson!I may not know how to use the awk but as i see now this command seems a lot helpful!

Last edited by kotsos13; 12-21-2011 at 02:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation for the syntax(code)

Hi I am new to shell script programming... want to know the process of the following: if then echo "$0: missing argument for option(s) :$MISSINGOPTARG" echo "usage" $USAGE" exit 1 fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandhar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK deifnition and some small code explanation

Could someone give me a quick simple explanation for the AWK command. And also help me to explain the code i have made. I have made some general comments about it myself. I was wondering if people could help me with the rest: awk -F'' 'END { fmt = "%-20s\t%s\t%s\n" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk code explanation

Hi I have a line/command which greps certain pattern () from the file and 22 lines AFTER that: nawk '/\/{c=22}c&&c--' input_file Can somebody explain the coding in this command (what " c&&c-- " does)? and how to modify this command to output 22 lines BEFORE this pattern () Thanks a lot ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Please help with the following fork code..with complete explanation

I have the following piece of codes. Please explain it to me in great detail how are these codes working. 1. #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int x; x=0; while (x<2 && fork()){ if (!fork()) execlp("echo","x++","x",0); x++; system("echo x+x"); } } 2. #include <stdio.h> int i;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakashabii
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

code explanation

Can you please explain the following code plz? my_cd=' ' while getopts :e: OPTION; do case "$OPTION" in e) my_cd ="$OPTARG";; esac done if ; then echo " >>> ERROR - I am wrong" echo " >>> ERROR - Hello" exit 99 fi What I don't understand is what is OPTION or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of NAWK Code

Hi all, I need your help in understanding the meaning and syntax of the below nawk line. Here is an extract of a script which I use daily and works well. The script extracts the hostnames and messages within a syslog file. I would also like to extract the message time in the 3rd column by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Minix 3 Source Code Organisation Explanation

1. I've been asked to provide a detailed description on how Minix's source code is organised. This may sound slightly simple, but what exactly am I to refer to when explaining? Any documents that would provide assistance to understand whats being asked? Thanks 2. Not applicable: 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Menace12
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh code explanation

Hi. Can somebody please explain the following lines of KSH code for me? The code checks all sub directories in a specific location which are numbered (E.g. test_01, test_02 ... etc.), then finds the one with highest number and extracts that number from the dir name into the variable num. I'd just... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)