Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 5.1 and RS6000
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.1 and RS6000 Post 302583578 by dukessd on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 07:38:07 PM
Old 12-20-2011
A serial null modem cable hooked up to your pc serial port and running a terminal emulator on the pc is the way to go here - you may need a usb to serial adapter at the pc end if it is newer than mine...

That should give you enough key words to search for here or on the www.

604e and 5.1 suggests 9600,8,n,1.

hyperterm, putty, Etc. will do the "terminal emulator" bit for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Good IDE for C++ on RS6000/AIX

I am looking for the above Can anyone point me to a reliable product, with available support in the forseeable future ? Seeker (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Installing PHP on IBM/RS6000 AIX UNIX

I am attempting to install PHP on an IBM RS6000 AIX UNIX box. I am not getting very far and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Here is the message from the output: checking for Apache 1.x module support via DSO through APXS Sorry I was not able to successfully run APXS.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard time with a RS6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L

Hello all! This is my first post here! I'm having a hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 machine. I'm trying to install AIX 5.2L on it but, up to now, I can't make it boot from the CDROM. Do any of you have an ideia? Thank you for your time! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MCM
3 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 4.1.5/RS6000 boot hang, help requested

Hello there! I have a RS-6000 7043-140 machine with AIX version 4.1.5, that is working for almost 8 years now. It has a tty monitor. My problem started when I upgraded my machine to install a gxt250 graphics adapter card together with a 15" AOC VGA Monitor, logitech keyboard and mouse, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bright_genius
2 Replies

5. AIX

Re-Installation of AIX 5.2 in RS6000 7026

Hi There!! I need to reinstall the operating system AIX 5.2 in a RS6000 7026/6H1 that has AIX 4.3 but I need a firmware upgrade that I dón´t know where can I obtain. - Platform firmware version 3 or later. Someone can help me please, I will be very grateful !! Thank´s. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terron79
1 Replies

6. AIX

New to AIX and got my hands on a RS6000 v.need help getting it on the network

So im fairly new to AIX and my knowledge is very, very limited but i got my hands on an RS6000 43P model and im trying to get it on the network so i can access it from work. I have pretty much tried everything i can/know how to do by reading up as much as i can but im still lost. I have the 43P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IIIII
2 Replies

7. AIX

VNC or X Emulator on RS6000 AIX 5.2

Hello everyone, I have just joined your forum even though I have been using it on and off for couple of months now. Up until now I have been able to find any information I needed by just browsing this site or performing a Google search, but now I'm stuck!. I was hoping you could help me with... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: juniorG
16 Replies

8. AIX

Trying to hookup my notebook to my IBM 7046-B50 type rack RS6000/AIX system

Greetings to all: Gentlemen, I've tried extremely hard to hookup my notebook via the hyperterminal to my AIX box (IBM 7046-B50) by virtue of a cross-over cable. Don't know really whats going on ......to my surprise. The notebook says its hookedup successfully but shows no unix login prompt on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhatmi
6 Replies

9. AIX

Printing queue in rs6000

Hi, I'm at following old machine:@rs6000:/:> uname -a AIX rs6000 2 4 007016224C00 We are facing some problems with print queues, whenever a print queue gets stuck we cannot cancel it, we don't have any other option except restarting the machine, we have following queues:@rs6000:/etc:> lpstat... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
23 Replies

10. AIX

Reinstalling AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000

Hey guys, I'm a newbie in Unix world.. Currently in my office lies an old IBM RS6000 which hasn't been maintained for a very long time. The former admin has resigned and we don't have any documentation or whatsoever regarding the old machine. All I know that it is an RS6000 is because of what's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch4ng3l
4 Replies
NBD-CLIENT(8)															     NBD-CLIENT(8)

NAME
nbd-client - connect to a server running nbd-server(1), to use its exported block device SYNOPSIS
nbd-client [ bs=blocksize ] [ timeout=seconds ] host port nbd-device [ -sdp ] [ -swap ] [ -persist ] [ -nofork ] nbd-client -d nbd-device nbd-client -c nbd-device DESCRIPTION
With nbd-client, you can connect to a server running nbd-server, thus using raw diskspace from that server as a blockdevice on the local client. To do this, support from the Linux Kernel is necessary, in the form of the Network Block Device (NBD). When you have that, either in the kernel, or as a module, you can connect to an NBD server and use its exported file through a block special file with major mode 43. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: bs=blocksize Use a blocksize of "blocksize". Default is 1024; allowed values are either 512, 1024, 2048 or 4096 host The hostname of the machine running nbd-server. timeout=seconds Set the connection timeout to "seconds". For this to work, you need a kernel with support for the NBD_SET_TIMEOUT ioctl; this was introduced into Linus' tree on 2007-10-11, and will be part of kernel 2.6.24. port The TCP port on which nbd-server is running at the server. nbd-device The block special file this nbd-client should connect to. -c Check whether the specified nbd device is connected. If the device is connected, nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 0 and print the PID of the nbd-client instance that connected it to stdout. If the device is not connected or does not exist (for example because the nbd module was not loaded), nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 1 and not print anything on stdout. If an error occurred, nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 2, and not print anything on stdout either. -d Disconnect the specified nbd device from the server -persist When this option is specified, nbd-client will immediately try to reconnect an nbd device if the connection ever drops unexpectedly due to a lost server or something similar. -sdp Connect to the server using the Socket Direct Protocol (SDP), rather than IP. See nbd-server(1) for details. -swap Specifies that this NBD device will be used as swapspace. This option attempts to prevent deadlocks by performing mlockall() at an appropriate time. It does not however guarantee that such deadlocks can be avoided. -nofork Specifies that the NBD client should not detach and daemonize itself. This is mostly useful for debugging. EXAMPLES
Some examples of nbd-client usage: o To connect to a server running on port 2000 at host "server.domain.com", using the client's block special file "/dev/nb0": nbd-client server.domain.com 2000 /dev/nb0 o To connect to a server running on port 2001 at host "swapserver.domain.com", using the client's block special file "/dev/nb1", for swap purposes: nbd-client swapserver.domain.com 2001 /dev/nb1 -swap o To disconnect the above connection again (after making sure the block special file is not in use anymore): nbd-client -d /dev/nb1 SEE ALSO
nbd-server (1). AUTHOR
The NBD kernel module and the NBD tools have been written by Pavel Macheck (pavel@ucw.cz). The kernel module is now maintained by Paul Clements (Paul.Clements@steeleye.com), while the userland tools are maintained by Wouter Ver- helst (wouter@debian.org) This manual page was written by Wouter Verhelst (<wouter@debian.org>) for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Permis- sion is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation. 26 May 2009 NBD-CLIENT(8)