Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk extract certain digits from file with index substr Post 302583537 by sdf on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 04:06:29 PM
Old 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Does it have to be AWK? Is Perl acceptable?
Don't have perl on my system. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk in shell script to extract an index of a substring from a parent string

Hi All, I am new to this shell scripting world. Struck up with a problem, can anyone of you please pull me out of this. Requirement : Need to get the index of a substring from a parent string Eg : index("Sandy","dy") should return 4 or 3. My Approach : I used Awk function index to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepms17
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

(awk) compare files in dir with an index file

Using awk I have an index file which has been seperated into 5 fields. The first field contains file names. What I need to do is check to see if a file exists in my current directory that is not in the first field of my index file. If its not i print out a message. Please help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xthexonex
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to serach for Values grater tan 4 digits in a file using Awk Command

Dear All iam looking for a help in how to search for values grreater than 4 numbers. I run the below commad but its still not working awk '{ print $2 " " $5 }' AllRecords | grep "+008" | grep "length" > 4 Can any one help me. Regards Kadir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samura
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to index substr from right to left?

Hello, all Suppose I have a string "0123456789", if i want to get the substr "56", I know I can use following method: $ string="0123456789" $ echo ${string:5:2} 56 I am wondering if there is some command like: $ echo ${string:6:-2} which can also get the same output "56"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to extract character between two semicolon?

Dear folks Hello I have a data set which one of the column of this data set are string and I want to extract numbers which is between two ":". However, I know the substr command which will do this operation but my problem is the numbers between two ":" have different digits. this will make my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relocation strings using awk/sed from a index file

Hi All, I'd always appreciate all helps from this website. I would like to relocate strings based on the index number from an index file. Index numbers are shown on the first column in the index file (index.txt) and I would like to relocate "path" based on index numbers. Paths are placed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substr/Instr in shell script or extract part of text

Hi, I need to extract part of a text to two variables text is "PL/SQL procedure successfully completed. ERROR ----------------------------------------------------------------- Test Error Message PLUSVAR ---------- 1" I want "Test Error Message" in one variable and "1" in another variable.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedavrath
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substr with % - extract numbers only

# cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo) I have this script that will monitor filesystems and send me e-amil alerts. #! /bin/ksh DIST_LIST=monitor@...com WORKDIR=/home/monitor WARNLEVEL=90 MAIL_SUBJ="filesystems monitor on "$(hostname) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielshell
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed / awk script to delete the two digits from first 3 digits

Hi All , I am having an input file as stated below 5728 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r03_q_reg_20_/Q 011 611 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r04_q_reg_20_/Q 011 3486... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)