Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9 Post 302583242 by jlliagre on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 03:25:34 AM
Old 12-20-2011
I asked for mdb to be run as root.
Some ideas anyway:
/tmp is on tmpfs and has the sticky bit set (last permission bits = t), this might be the reason why chown fails.
Do you observe the same issue on a regular directory (drwxrwxrwx) and on UFS / ZFS ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the owner of the file?

How to change the owner of the file? Can I change the owner of file/ files? I am user and not admin.(not logged as root) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change owner of a file

im running into changing the ownership of a file. I am trying to change the ownership to "system", but it doesn't want to work. I sudo chown system /preferences.plist Password: chown: system: Invalid argument is there a way to read the ownership of a file, something like read chown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBarraford
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Owner of file gets 'not owner' error for chgrp

Hi Folks, I know that changing users and groups is pretty basic admin, but this one has got me stumped. When I try to change the group of a file for which I am the owner for, it still gives me a 'Not owner' error. For example, when I am logged in as 'webadmin', I have the following file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brizrobbo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting file owner in perl

hi, how can I get the owner of the file ( not uid) on windows plaform. "getpwuid" is not working on windows. I knw it works on unix. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Change file owner

What i did: - logged in with acc1 and created a new user acc2 commands used: useradd and passwd. - Then i logged in acc2. but all the files are owned by acc1. Issue: I try to change the owner of the files using chown command . But it gives me a error message. All i want to do is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TotallyConfused
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Privileges : modify dir/file owner by other that's not owner

i need to do the following operations in solaris 10: 1.change owner and group owner for files which are not owned by the current user and user group 2.to can delete files in the /tmp directory which are not of the current user 3. allow to a standard user the deletion of files in the /tmp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sirmark
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to log all file that has been move,chmod,chown?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to log that has been chmod,mv,chown,chgrp and how to prevent script running while chmod,mv,chown,chgrp are still running? Ex: a/b/c-folder file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt chmod 777 * chown owner owner group mv what i did was(please see... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Chown error in Solaris

Hello All, I am trying to change the home directory ownership of a user from "skel" to user himself, drwxr-xr-x 4 skel aldo 4096 May 26 09:47 dosatc But when i do that i get an error stating, # chown -R dosatc /msdhome/dosatc #chown: getcwd: Too many open files Please guide me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
3 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. DIAGNOSTICS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD