Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename portion of file based on another file Post 302583126 by agama on Monday 19th of December 2011 03:59:31 PM
Old 12-19-2011
I don't usually use bash, so I didn't realise this before... seems that the script will work under bash without the typeset -A; have a try and see what happens. I tested it under bash, but didn't notice the complaint about the bad option to typeset.

As for the CRCn issue, I should have suggested this, but thought they were all *1 (I only looked at the first few filenames in your sample, so this is likely my fault). You can use something like this:

Code:
lane_n=${lanename:3:1}   # add this just before the cat command

and when substituting use:
Code:
ColonTrio${lane_n}_

which should take the number from the CRC and append it to ColonTrio.

EDIT: I tested this with bash version 3.2.39 -- if taking away the typeset all together doesn't work, it may be a version difference and another work around will be needed.

---------- Post updated at 15:59 ---------- Previous update was at 15:43 ----------

Here's a solution that should work -- avoids using an associative array in the shell:

Code:
while read old new
do
    eval $old=\"$new\"    # build a list of variables named using old with value that is new. 
done <barcodekey.txt 

find *gz | while IFS="_" read name lanename date sequence lane readpair number
do
    eval xlation=\"\$$sequence\"  # use the old name as a variable to get it's translation.
    if [[ ! -f ColonTrio1_${xlation}_${readpair}.fastq.gz ]]    # not already renamed
    then
        lane_n=${lanename:3:1}    # save the n after CRC
        echo "cat *_${lanename}_*_${sequence}_*_${readpair}* >ColonTrio${lane_n}_${xlation}_${readpair}.fastq.gz"
    fi
done

Last edited by agama; 12-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: additional info
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select a portion of file based on query

Hi friends :) I am having a small problem and ur help is needed... I have a long file from which i want to select only some portions after filtering (grep). My file looks like : header xxyy lmno xxyy wxyz footer header abcd xy pqrs footer . . (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file

I'm looking to determine if I can use a grep command to read file and rename the file based on the first 3 characters of the data in the file. An example is: Read FileA If the first 3 positions of the data in the file are "ITP", then rename the file as FileA_ITP, else if the first 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jchappel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get a portion of entries in file based on a criteria --- Help please

All, Below is the file, what i need to do is take the text in between the /*-- and --*/ , i mean the jobs. Then i have grep for system name . If the job is there in system 1 i have to print to a file. Basically i want to take all the jobs that are in system1 to another file . because... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder based on containing XML file

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a solution where i need to rename a folder to a name that's inside an XML file in that folder. OS is Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome. I've tried using grep, sed and xpath, but can't seem to find a solution. This is the simplified folder structure: FOLDER-NAME -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoolCow
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to rename file based on name in same file

Good day. I need a one-liner (if possible) otherwise a longer script to do the following: I have a list of files in a directory with the same filename extension, ie. firstfile.cks, anotherfile.cks, somefile.cks, etc.The filename and extension, however, are incorrect. The correct filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies