Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename portion of file based on another file Post 302583121 by anjulka on Monday 19th of December 2011 03:20:11 PM
Old 12-19-2011
Thank you, agama. That looks like an elegant solution.

Two unfortunate problems, however:
1. Our cluster uses bash 3.2.25(1)-release (sorry that I forgot to mention that in my original post). typeset will not let me use -A. -a doesn't seem to have the same effect. declare won't work either. :-(
2. Just putting ColonTrio1 into the output won't work, since I also have CRC2->ColonTrio2 and CRC3->ColonTrio3.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select a portion of file based on query

Hi friends :) I am having a small problem and ur help is needed... I have a long file from which i want to select only some portions after filtering (grep). My file looks like : header xxyy lmno xxyy wxyz footer header abcd xy pqrs footer . . (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file

I'm looking to determine if I can use a grep command to read file and rename the file based on the first 3 characters of the data in the file. An example is: Read FileA If the first 3 positions of the data in the file are "ITP", then rename the file as FileA_ITP, else if the first 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jchappel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get a portion of entries in file based on a criteria --- Help please

All, Below is the file, what i need to do is take the text in between the /*-- and --*/ , i mean the jobs. Then i have grep for system name . If the job is there in system 1 i have to print to a file. Basically i want to take all the jobs that are in system1 to another file . because... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder based on containing XML file

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a solution where i need to rename a folder to a name that's inside an XML file in that folder. OS is Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome. I've tried using grep, sed and xpath, but can't seem to find a solution. This is the simplified folder structure: FOLDER-NAME -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoolCow
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to rename file based on name in same file

Good day. I need a one-liner (if possible) otherwise a longer script to do the following: I have a list of files in a directory with the same filename extension, ie. firstfile.cks, anotherfile.cks, somefile.cks, etc.The filename and extension, however, are incorrect. The correct filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
rename(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							rename(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
rename - Rename or delete a command SYNOPSIS
rename oldName newName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Rename the command that used to be called oldName so that it is now called newName. If newName is an empty string then oldName is deleted. oldName and newName may include namespace qualifiers (names of containing namespaces). If a command is renamed into a different namespace, future invocations of it will execute in the new namespace. The rename command returns an empty string as result. EXAMPLE
The rename command can be used to wrap the standard Tcl commands with your own monitoring machinery. For example, you might wish to count how often the source command is called: rename ::source ::theRealSource set sourceCount 0 proc ::source args { global sourceCount puts "called source for the [incr sourceCount]'th time" uplevel 1 ::theRealSource $args } SEE ALSO
namespace(1T), proc(1T) KEYWORDS
command, delete, namespace, rename ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl rename(1T)