Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to test each line in a file Post 302582972 by rymnd_12345 on Monday 19th of December 2011 07:08:44 AM
Old 12-19-2011
Hi CarloM,

Thanks again for your help! I wish you've read my new post, if so I appreciate any input from you. BTW this is the post... I have a file that conatins output upon executing/var/log/messages, then what I want is to get the logs that has been generated only starting from 24-hours earlier at the time of actual execution of the script. Is this possible? Let's say for example:
Code:
$cat /var/log/messages > output-file
$cat output-file
-----> outputs multiple files regardless of its date

I want that when I run the parser it will just give me the output 24-hrs earlier from the time of execution.

Br,
rymnd_12345

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get last lines of file after last line with word TEST

i need to get least lines of file after last word TEST in file, and send that lines to mail example of file structure: TEST 10.10.2010 jdfjdnjfndjfndnfkdk djfjdnfjkdjkfnjkdfk jdfjdjfnjdjnfjkdnfjk TEST 11.10.2010 jdjfnjdnfdkdfjdfjdnk jdnfjdnjkfndnfjdnfjk fjdnfjkndnfdfnjdnfjk TEST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I test the first char of each line in an array

Hi folks, I am self-learning as I can I have a script that has read a file into an array. I can read out each line in the array with the code: for INDEX in {0..$LENGTH} ## $LENGTH was determined at the read in do echo "${data}" done What I need to do is test the first char... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Data in test file and write each out to a line

I have a .csv file that has been create from a google form and I need to extract the data from it that has been entered by users. The CSV will have anywhere between 100 and 1000 lines which comprise entr data for a sports carnival A few typical line is shown here to show the problem I have ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
19 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)