Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Physical Memory expansion
Operating Systems AIX Physical Memory expansion Post 302582673 by zxmaus on Friday 16th of December 2011 08:36:11 PM
Old 12-16-2011
is it really so difficult for customers to think about future growth ?! Smilie

Now seriously - bigger memory modules means as well slower memory. Most clients want as fast memory as they can get for their needs. IBM gives you the option to purchase your frames with spare memory for future activation and assumes that you want the fastest memory for your estimated maximum memory needs.

Limitations are per node module (you have up to 4) + per frame
● 4 GB to 48 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 + 192 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 total or
● 16 GB to 96 GB of 533 MHz DDR2 + 384 GB of 533 MHz DDR2 total
● 32 GB to 192 GB of 400 MHz DDR2 + 768 GB of 400 MHz DDR2

there are additional requirements how many node modules need to have the same configuration - as far as I recall, you need to keep them the same or same or one level bigger (which slows down ALL memory)

Hope that helps
regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Physical Memory

Hi, My problem is next.... How can I work with physical memory in the Unix FreeBSD 2.2 or hight? What is the "mem" & "kmem" drivers? P.S./ writing device driver for UNIX FreeBSD 2.2 :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex_T
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical memory

It is just a general question....is there a limit on the memory? I am looking into a process to store image files on the unix server which will be accessed by the application, and I just wonder if there is any limit regarding the physical or virtual memory. I am very new to unix, so thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cchien
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get physical and virtual memory

What command can i use to get the physical and virtual memory of a database? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstat -P (physical memory)

vmstat -P commands gives me an output as shown at the end of this message. my first question is about the difference between "total physical memory" and "total physical memory use" "Total Physical Memory" -"Total Physical Memory Use" 524288 pages-524026 pages= 262 pages does it mean... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

5. Solaris

How to check physical memory

HI Please help me how to check the physical memory, model name and hardisk information. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeelans
5 Replies

6. Solaris

physical memory

what is the command to find the physical memory in soalris OS and how to find whether paging is happening or not ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

8. Solaris

restrcit physical memory with zone.max-locked-memory

Is it possible to restrict physical memory in solaris zone with zone.max-locked-memory just like we can do with rcapd ? I do not want to used rcapd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 5.3 Physical Memory usage

Hi, I have AIX 5.3TL8 two node cluster using HACMP and have 10g database using RAW devices. I am seeing gradual increase in comp% memory everyday and it reaches 100% and evicts the node, we had 4 evictions in 40days. I am pasting vmstat and vmo output, anyone seen this issue? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin7386
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Physical memory calculation

Below is Physical Memory result : -bash-3.00$ prtconf | grep "Memory size" Memory size: 36854 Megabytes -bash-3.00$ vmstat 1 2 | tail -1 0 0 0 28220616 1318888 15 143 0 0 0 0 0 253 2 15 0 5215 14989 5917 7 0 93 and the script i have to calculate this in Percentage is : #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi010207
3 Replies
TC(9)							   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						     TC(9)

NAME
TC, tc_intr_establish, tc_intr_disestablish, tc_intr_evcnt. tc_mb, tc_wmb, tc_syncbus, tc_badaddr, TC_DENSE_TO_SPARSE, TC_PHYS_TO_UNCACHED -- TURBOchannel bus SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/bus.h> #include <dev/tc/tcvar.h> #include <dev/tc/tcdevs.h> void tc_intr_establish(struct device *dev, void *cookie, int level, int (*handler)(void *), void *arg); void tc_intr_disestablish(struct device *dev, void *cookie); const struct evcnt * tc_intr_evcnt(struct device *dev, void *cookie); void tc_mb(); void tc_wmb(); void tc_syncbus(); int tc_badaddr(tc_addr_t tcaddr); tc_addr_t TC_DENSE_TO_SPARSE(tc_addr_t addr); tc_addr_t TC_PHYS_TO_UNCACHED(tc_addr_t addr); DESCRIPTION
The TC device provides support for the DEC TURBOchannel bus found on all DEC TURBOchannel machines with MIPS (DECstation 5000 series, exclud- ing the 5000/200) and Alpha (3000-series) systems. TURBOchannel is a 32-bit wide synchronous DMA-capable bus, running at 25 MHz on higher- end machines and at 12.5 MHz on lower-end machines. DATA TYPES
Drivers for devices attached to the TURBOchannel bus will make use of the following data types: struct tc_attach_args A structure use to inform the driver of TURBOchannel bus properties. It contains the following members: bus_space_tag_t ta_memt; bus_dma_tag_t ta_dmat; char ta_modname[TC_ROM_LLEN+1]; u_int ta_slot; tc_offset_t ta_offset; tc_addr_t ta_addr; void *ta_cookie; u_int ta_busspeed; The ta_busspeed member specifies the TURBOchannel bus speed and is useful for time-related functions. Values values are TC_SPEED_12_5_MHZ for the 12.5 MHz bus and TC_SPEED_25_MHZ for the 50 MHz bus. FUNCTIONS
tc_intr_establish(dev, cookie, level, handler, arg) Establish an interrupt handler with device dev for the interrupt described completely by cookie, the value passed to the driver in the ta_cookie member of the tc_attach_args structure. The priority of the interrupt is specified by level. When the interrupt occurs the function handler is called with argument arg. tc_intr_disestablish(dev, cookie) Dis-establish the interrupt handler with device dev for the interrupt described completely cookie. tc_intr_evcnt(dev, cookie) Do interrupt event counting with device dev for the event described completely by cookie. tc_mb() A read/write memory barrier. Any CPU-to-memory reads/writes before the barrier must complete before any CPU-to-memory reads/writes after it. tc_wmb() A write memory barrier. Any CPU-to-memory writes before the barrier must complete before any CPU-to-memory writes after it. tc_syncbus() Synchronise writes on the TURBOchannel bus by ensuring CPU writes are propagated across the TURBOchannel bus. tc_badaddr(tcaddr) Returns non-zero if the given address tcaddr is invalid. TC_DENSE_TO_SPARSE(addr) Convert the given physical address addr in TURBOchannel dense space to the corresponding address in TURBOchannel sparse space. TC_PHYS_TO_UNCACHED(addr) Convert the given system memory physical address addr to the physical address of the corresponding region that is not cached. AUTOCONFIGURATION
The TURBOchannel bus is a direct-connection bus. During autoconfiguration, the parent specifies the name of the found TURBOchannel module into the ta_modname member of the tc_attach_args structure. Drivers should match on this name. DMA SUPPORT
The TURBOchannel bus supports 32-bit, bidirectional DMA transfers. Support is provided by the standard bus_dma(9) interface. CODE REFERENCES
The TURBOchannel subsystem itself is implemented within the file sys/dev/tc/tc_subr.c. Machine-dependent portions can be found in sys/arch/<arch>/tc/tcbus.c. SEE ALSO
tc(4), autoconf(9), bus_dma(9), bus_space(9), driver(9) BSD
October 7, 2001 BSD