Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to sleep and wake a thread??? Post 302582588 by Corona688 on Friday 16th of December 2011 12:04:40 PM
Old 12-16-2011
Code:
#include <pthread.h>
#include <stdio.h>

// Simplest way to create a mutex, no function calls needed
pthread_mutex_t lock=PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;

// When two threads must use the same memory, you must use
// mutex calls to make it safe.  It's not just a lock, it's also a
// "memory barrier", guaranteeing memory values between different CPU cores
// are synchronized properly.
int running=1;

void *thread(void *arg)
{
        fprintf(stderr, "Thread beginning\n");
        while(1)
        {
                int r;
                fprintf(stderr, "thread waiting for lock\n");
                // If main already has the mutex, thread will sleep.
                // when main unlocks it, the thread will lock it and continue.
                pthread_mutex_lock(&lock);
                        fprintf(stderr, "We have the mutex, it is safe to get value of 'running'\n");
                        r=running;
                        fprintf(stderr, "Value of 'running' is %d\n", r);
                pthread_mutex_unlock(&lock); // What gets locked MUST be unlocked later!
                fprintf(stderr, "thread has given up the lock\n");
                if(r == 0) break;
                sleep(1);
        }
        fprintf(stderr, "thread finishing\n");

return((void *)0xdeadbeef);
}

int main()
{
        void *ret;
        pthread_t tid;
        running=1;
        pthread_mutex_lock(&lock); // Stop thread from getting the mutex
        fprintf(stderr, "main now has the mutex\n");

pthread_create(&tid, NULL, thread, NULL);
        sleep(2); // Thread will begin, but wait for mutex

fprintf(stderr, "main is unlocking the mutex\n");
        pthread_mutex_unlock(&lock); // Let the thread run for a while
        sleep(5);

// Lock the mutex, making it safe to alter 'running'
        pthread_mutex_lock(&lock);
                fprintf(stderr, "main now has the mutex\n");
                running=0;
                fprintf(stderr, "main is unlocking the mutex\n");
        pthread_mutex_unlock(&lock);

pthread_join(tid, &ret);
        fprintf(stderr, "Thread finished with return value %p\n", ret);
}

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wake on Lan script

Im old to Unix but new to scripting I have a MacBook running osx that I want to use as an nfs client. The server will be a linux box with a wake on lan card. Here's the idea. Run a cron command on the mac every minute that checks if I am on my home wireless network (the linux box is wired to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anon0mus
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wake on LAN script

m old to Unix but new to scripting I have a MacBook running osx that I want to use as an nfs client. The server will be a linux box with a wake on lan card. Here's the idea. Run a cron command on the mac every minute that checks if I am on my home wireless network (the linux box is wired to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anon0mus
6 Replies

3. Programming

how to wake up a thread that blocking at epoll_wait?

I have two threads: one maintains a thread-safe message queue (handle this queue at the beginning of every loop) and deals with tcp connections, the other one posts message to the former one. the problem is, while the former one was blocking at epoll_wait, it's not sure that how long until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cometeor
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Device Driver: how can an ISR wake up a user-thread?

Hi all, Is it possible to do the following in Linux (kernel 2.6.x): - A user-space thread goes to "sleep". Using any call/mechanism - On a hardware generated interrupt, the Interrupt handler (ISR) "wakes" the sleeping user-thread. I have seen wait_event() and wake_up() but it appears... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Computer wake commands

I'm a OS X user (MacBook Pro, OS X Lion) and I need it to wake up on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 9:00 AM on the rest of the days of the week at 7:00 I issue the following commands: sudo pmset repeat wake MWRS 09:00:00 for the former sudo pmset repeat wake TFU... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
1 Replies
pthread_mutex_lock(3C)													    pthread_mutex_lock(3C)

NAME
pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock, pthread_mutex_unlock - lock or unlock a mutex SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex); int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex); int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex); The mutex object referenced by mutex is locked by calling pthread_mutex_lock(). If the mutex is already locked, the calling thread blocks until the mutex becomes available. This operation returns with the mutex object referenced by mutex in the locked state with the calling thread as its owner. If the mutex type is PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL, deadlock detection is not provided. Attempting to relock the mutex causes deadlock. If a thread attempts to unlock a mutex that it has not locked or a mutex that is unlocked, undefined behavior results. If the mutex type is PTHREAD_MUTEX_ERRORCHECK, then error checking is provided. If a thread attempts to relock a mutex that it has already locked, an error will be returned. If a thread attempts to unlock a mutex that it has not locked or a mutex which is unlocked, an error will be returned. If the mutex type is PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE, then the mutex maintains the concept of a lock count. When a thread successfully acquires a mutex for the first time, the lock count is set to 1. Every time a thread relocks this mutex, the lock count is incremented by one. Each time the thread unlocks the mutex, the lock count is decremented by one. When the lock count reaches 0, the mutex becomes available for other threads to acquire. If a thread attempts to unlock a mutex that it has not locked or a mutex that is unlocked, an error will be returned. If the mutex type is PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT, attempting to recursively lock the mutex results in undefined behavior. Attempting to unlock the mutex if it was not locked by the calling thread results in undefined behavior. Attempting to unlock the mutex if it is not locked results in undefined behavior. The pthread_mutex_trylock() function is identical to pthread_mutex_lock() except that if the mutex object referenced by mutex is currently locked (by any thread, including the current thread), the call returns immediately. The pthread_mutex_unlock() function releases the mutex object referenced by mutex. The manner in which a mutex is released is dependent upon the mutex's type attribute. If there are threads blocked on the mutex object referenced by mutex when pthread_mutex_unlock() is called, resulting in the mutex becoming available, the scheduling policy is used to determine which thread will acquire the mutex. (In the case of PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE mutexes, the mutex becomes available when the count reaches 0 and the calling thread no longer has any locks on this mutex.) If a signal is delivered to a thread waiting for a mutex, upon return from the signal handler the thread resumes waiting for the mutex as if it was not interrupted. If successful, the pthread_mutex_lock() and pthread_mutex_unlock() functions return 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indi- cate the error. The pthread_mutex_trylock() function returns 0 if a lock on the mutex object referenced by mutex is acquired. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_mutex_lock() and pthread_mutex_trylock() functions will fail if: EINVAL The mutex was created with the protocol attribute having the value PTHREAD_PRIO_PROTECT and the calling thread's priority is higher than the mutex's current priority ceiling. The pthread_mutex_trylock() function will fail if: EBUSY The mutex could not be acquired because it was already locked. The pthread_mutex_lock(), pthread_mutex_trylock() and pthread_mutex_unlock() functions may fail if: EINVAL The value specified by mutex does not refer to an initialized mutex object. EAGAIN The mutex could not be acquired because the maximum number of recursive locks for mutex has been exceeded. The pthread_mutex_lock() function may fail if: EDEADLK The current thread already owns the mutex. The pthread_mutex_unlock() function may fail if: EPERM The current thread does not own the mutex. When a thread makes a call to pthread_mutex_lock() or pthread_mutex_trylock(), if the symbol _POSIX_THREAD_PRIO_INHERIT is defined and the mutex is initialized with the protocol attribute having the value PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT and the robustness attribute having the value PTHREAD_MUTEX_ROBUST_NP (see pthread_mutexattr_getrobust_np(3C)), the pthread_mutex_lock() and pthread_mutex_trylock() functions will fail if: EOWNERDEAD The last owner of this mutex died while holding the mutex. This mutex is now owned by the caller. The caller must now attempt to make the state protected by the mutex consistent. If it is able to clean up the state, then it should call pthread_mutex_consistent_np() for the mutex and unlock the mutex. Subsequent calls to pthread_mutex_lock() and pthread_mutex_trylock() will behave normally, as before. If the caller is not able to clean up the state, pthread_mutex_consistent_np() should not be called for the mutex, but it should be unlocked. Subsequent calls to pthread_mutex_lock() and pthread_mutex_trylock() will fail to acquire the mutex with the error value ENOTRECOVER- ABLE. If the owner who acquired the lock with EOWNERDEAD dies, the next owner will acquire the lock with EOWN- ERDEAD. ENOTRECOVERABLE The mutex trying to be acquired is protecting the state that has been left irrecoverable by the mutex's last owner, who died while holding the lock. The mutex has not been acquired. This condition can occur when the lock was previ- ously acquired with EOWNERDEAD, and the owner was not able to clean up the state and unlocked the mutex without making the mutex consistent. ENOMEM The limit on the number of simultaneously held mutexes has been exceeded. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pthread_mutex_init(3C), pthread_mutex_destroy(3C), pthread_mutex_consistent_np(3C), pthread_mutexattr_getrobust_np(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) In the current implementation of threads, pthread_mutex_lock(), pthread_mutex_unlock(), mutex_lock(), mutex_unlock(), pthread_mutex_try- lock(), and mutex_trylock() do not validate the mutex type. Therefore, an uninitialized mutex or a mutex with an invalid type does not return EINVAL. Interfaces for mutexes with an invalid type have unspecified behavior. Uninitialized mutexes that are allocated locally may contain junk data. Such mutexes need to be initialized using pthread_mutex_init() or mutex_init(). 23 Mar 2005 pthread_mutex_lock(3C)