Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora How to increase/Decrease Local Virtual consoles? Post 302582479 by pinga123 on Friday 16th of December 2011 05:24:34 AM
Old 12-16-2011
How to increase/Decrease Local Virtual consoles?

I m tring to figure out the option where i can increase/Decrease the count for local virtual consoles(vtys).

I can able to take upto 6 vtys using (left alt+(F1-F6))

But is there any way i can increase the count ?

One more query
even though i can only take tty upto tty6 why there are tty entries in /etc/securetty file ranging from 1-11(Noob about tty)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

web consoles

reposted in correct forum (I think) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josudami
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

web consoles

I posted this in Unix Apps but I think it was put there in error as an after thought. What I am looking for (if one even exists) is a remote Console tool that will work for all my different flavors of Unix (HPUX, AIX, Redhat) I would prefer it be web based if possible. I know HP has a web... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josudami
0 Replies

3. Solaris

increase/decrease filesystem

Hi All, I need to increase the filesystem of / and /var (two different slices)? Space will be coming from /home slice so I need to decrease it. Is that possible without reinstallation or in a single-user-mode? Any idea or link please. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

4. Solaris

more consoles

Hi! Is it possible to add more console logins in Solaris 10 x86 like it is in Linux and FreeBSD? The Problem is, when i make some configuration in the console, kdmconfig for example, and something hangs, i cannot switch to another console to kill the process. What i want is to switch with Alt-F2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: donald1111
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Consoles gone wild!

I have a Sunfire V890 running solaris 10 that has a weird console problem. In the XWindows environment, everything seems to work fine. However, if I go to command-line mode in multi-user mode or otherwise, my prompt scrolls accross the screen so incontrollably, that the only thing you can do is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: josephgreensr
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to increase Virtual Disk size

Hello, I am working AIX VIO server and extended Virtual Disk of one of the Partition with 10GB. After starting partition, i am not able to see increased size of disk. Can you please help me what I need to do to increase the size of virtual disk from partition? Thanks Kishor ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorbhede
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to increase or decrease inode number of the particular UFS filesystem

Hi Gurus I want to know the command & tips regarding, how to increase or decrease inode number of the particular ufs filesystem. Is it possible to do it in a live/production environment. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

increase/decrease multiple numbers in a filename.

I got a game that output map tiles of the session with the 0,0 position at the place you login/spawn. That makes making a map somewhat troublesome since the 0,0 will move. So I've been looking for a way to change the numbers in the filenames of all files in a folder by a certain value. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravenholdt
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to decrease virtual size of a process after cleaning all containers and using malloc_trim (0)?

Hello all i have simple server running on linux redhat 6.1 it is build with c++ in the server i have huge std vector that holds pointers to cache objects those cache objects holds allot of data from the DB any way ... in some point in time there is simple API that suppose to clean the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual Memory problem on local zone

Hi I have a problem with Virtual Memory on one local zone (myzone1): //from local zone (myzone1) swap -s total: 22888544k bytes allocated + 0k reserved = 22888544k used, 3325856k available swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/swap ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
0 Replies
PAM_SECURETTY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_SECURETTY(8)

NAME
pam_securetty - Limit root login to special devices SYNOPSIS
pam_securetty.so [debug] DESCRIPTION
pam_securetty is a PAM module that allows root logins only if the user is logging in on a "secure" tty, as defined by the listing in /etc/securetty. pam_securetty also checks to make sure that /etc/securetty is a plain file and not world writable. It will also allow root logins on the tty specified with console= switch on the kernel command line and on ttys from the /sys/class/tty/console/active. This module has no effect on non-root users and requires that the application fills in the PAM_TTY item correctly. For canonical usage, should be listed as a required authentication method before any sufficient authentication methods. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. noconsole Do not automatically allow root logins on the kernel console device, as specified on the kernel command line or by the sys file, if it is not also specified in the /etc/securetty file. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The user is allowed to continue authentication. Either the user is not root, or the root user is trying to log in on an acceptable device. PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication is rejected. Either root is attempting to log in via an unacceptable device, or the /etc/securetty file is world writable or not a normal file. PAM_INCOMPLETE An application error occurred. pam_securetty was not able to get information it required from the application that called it. PAM_SERVICE_ERR An error occurred while the module was determining the user's name or tty, or the module could not open /etc/securetty. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN The module could not find the user name in the /etc/passwd file to verify whether the user had a UID of 0. Therefore, the results of running this module are ignored. EXAMPLES
auth required pam_securetty.so auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
securetty(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_securetty was written by Elliot Lee <sopwith@cuc.edu>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_SECURETTY(8)