Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX history settings
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX history settings Post 302581633 by methyl on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 03:44:03 PM
Old 12-13-2011
Re-reading your first post. The Shell History is a feature of the particular Shell you run. It is not present in every Shell and it is not specific to HP-UX.

Your sysadmin is right. If the command is in a non-shared Shell History file then you can reasonably assume that the command was issued by that account (but not neccesarily by the owner of that account).
You cannot assume that the command did what you expect based on one line. You can create a Shell Script in your account with the same name as system command - but a completely different function (as those who create programs called "test" soon find out).

If the command is in nobody's Shell History file then you can make no assumptions.

What you can never do is use a Shell History file alone to accuse an individual of typing something.

Let's be careful out there.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Duplex Settings

Hi All I've been having a lot of errors logged on the Cisco Catalyst (4000 series) which one of my Solaris servers is patched into. I have a feeling they are duplex related, but I'm a bit stuck as to how to confirm that. How do I: 1. Check the duplex settings on my eri0 card? 2. Set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saabir
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network settings

Total newbie here!! How do I view and alter network settings (ip address, subnet mask and default gateway) in UNIX? Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZappaDub
3 Replies

3. Linux

Ip settings

Hi, How to set ip address in linux. Regards, Guguli (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guguli
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)		 Perl Programmers Reference Guide	    CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source - read in CPANPLUS commands SYNOPSIS
CPAN Terminal> /source /tmp/list_of_commands /tmp/more_commands DESCRIPTION
This is a "CPANPLUS::Shell::Default" plugin that works just like your unix shells source(1) command; it reads in a file that has commands in it to execute, and then executes them. A sample file might look like this: # first, update all the source files x --update_source # find all of my modules that are on the CPAN # test them, and store the error log a ^KANE$' t * p /home/kane/cpan-autotest/log # and inform us we're good to go ! print "Autotest complete, log stored; please enter your commands!" Note how empty lines, and lines starting with a '#' are being skipped in the execution. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell, cpanp perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)