Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with perl subroutines
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with perl subroutines Post 302581629 by MacMonster on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 03:08:15 PM
Old 12-13-2011
Please see the comments for explanation.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

# This helps you to write better code and save time on debugging
use strict;
use warnings;

# Pass the command line argument(s) to the function
getFileName(@ARGV);

sub getFileName {
    # The argument list @ARGV is an array, read the first element if exists
    my $fileName = defined($_[0]) ? $_[0] : '';

# Prompt for user input until the file exists
    while (! -e $fileName) {
        print "Please enter a filename that exists. ";
        $fileName = <STDIN>;
        chomp($fileName); #Remove the newline char at the end of input
    }

return $fileName;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting: calling subroutines

How do I define and call a subroutine in a ksh script (or any shell)? I'm writing a script that uses a lot of the same code over and over and I don't want to waste time/space. Thanks, Chuck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Hash Tables to Subroutines

Hi: How do I pass a hash table down to a subroutine along with some other variables? For example, I have say a subroutine play_with_hash: sub play_with_hash { my( $var1, $var2, %my_hash ) = @_; #do stuff with %my_hash ........... } Then I want to call the subroutine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirzabhai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing date formats in Perl: i.e. Jul/10/2007 -> 20070710 (yyyymmdd) - Perl

Hi , This script working for fine if pass script-name.sh Jul/10/2007 ,I want to pass 20070710(yyyymmdd) .Please any help it should be appereciated. use Time::Local; my $d = $ARGV; my $t = $ARGV; my $m = ""; @d = split /\//, $d; @t = split /:/, $t; if ( $d eq "Jan" ) { $m = 0 }... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Subroutines

I'm maintaining a variety of programs (mostly in Perl) I didn't build, and the perllib is huge on the server. When I run across a user-defined subroutine it takes me at least an hour to look through all the logical places, and sometimes I still can't find the definition. Is there an easy way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdownes
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use switches type arguments for subroutines in perl

i want to call subroutines in perl like: sub temp { ---- some code ----- } temp(-switchName, value1, --switchName2, value2) Like i know getoptions::Long is there for command line switches type arguments. So i want to know for subroutine type arguments. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain a variable between subroutines

#!/usr/bin/bash sub1 () { for ((i=0;i<10;i++)) do export a=$i; echo "value of a is $a"; sleep 1 done } sub1 & sub2 () { for ((j=0;j<10;j++)) do echo "value of a is $a"; sleep 1 done } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subroutines; am I capturing them correctly?

HI Folks - Again, I'm very sorry for the amateur post. I'm reletively new to shell scripting so please bear with me. I have a script that execute another script which stops a particular set of services for my application. IF the execution is successful, I want to check for any hung ESSSVR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies