Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX history settings
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX history settings Post 302581467 by kinetik on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 08:23:01 AM
Old 12-13-2011
HP-UX history settings

Hi all

My first post here. I've been told certain things regarding HP-UX's .sh_history file which I'm not so sure I agree with completely.

These things are that the history file gets flushed on every clean shell exit (plausible, but I doubt it seeing as there are more than 11 thousand lines in the file as it stands) and that it's not very dependable (again, probably true, however if you're looking for a dead-standard command to make sure it wasn't run over a relatively long period of time, it should do just fine no?).

My take on it is that if there are thousands of lines, chances are that history file isn't getting flushed. If it's meant to, it's not configured correctly.
As for hunting down a supposedly repeated command ran by a certain user, if not the history file then what else can one check exactly (it's been established that no other means of recording commands have been put in place)?

I'm sorry if I come across as a bit irritated, especially as this is my first post on here, but that's because I am a bit irritated hehe! Smilie

I promise I'm very rarely this grouchy.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Duplex Settings

Hi All I've been having a lot of errors logged on the Cisco Catalyst (4000 series) which one of my Solaris servers is patched into. I have a feeling they are duplex related, but I'm a bit stuck as to how to confirm that. How do I: 1. Check the duplex settings on my eri0 card? 2. Set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saabir
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network settings

Total newbie here!! How do I view and alter network settings (ip address, subnet mask and default gateway) in UNIX? Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZappaDub
3 Replies

3. Linux

Ip settings

Hi, How to set ip address in linux. Regards, Guguli (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guguli
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
MINCHISTORY(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    MINCHISTORY(1)

NAME
minchistory - prints history information for minc files SYNOPSIS
minchistory [options] <file1.mnc> [<file2.mnc> ... ] minchistory will dump the internal history of one or more MINC files DESCRIPTION
minchistory is a perl script that prints the history information in a collection of MINC files. Most MINC files contain an internal "audit trail" that lists the commands used to create the MINC file. This tool provides a convenient way to examine this information. For each file, minchistory prints a title line followed by a series of lines which list the history information for that file. --- History of <filename> --- [01] Wed Oct 13 15:35:35 EST 2004>>>> dicom3_to_minc . [02] Wed Oct 13 15:43:34 2004>>> mincreshape +direction bob-jones_256x256x256_T1.mnc out.mnc -dimorder zspace,yspace,xspace -clobber minchistory is essentially an alias for the following command with a bit of pretty printing added. mincinfo -attvalue :history B<filename.mnc> OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Be noisy when doing things --version Print version number and exit -h, --help Dump some quick help output --man Dump a man page SEE ALSO
mincinfo(1) AUTHOR
Andrew Janke - a.janke@gmail.com COPYRIGHTS
Copyright 2000 by Andrew L Janke perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 MINCHISTORY(1)