Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Understanding permissions Post 302581312 by zdorian on Monday 12th of December 2011 08:24:28 PM
Old 12-12-2011
Understanding permissions

Hi,

I just installed wordpress on localhost, and I have some issues with permissions here. I recently switched to linux, so I'm still learning things.

While I'm installing linux, I can't ( that is wordpress can't ) make file wp-config.php in directory I want to install it /var/www/wordpress

when I do something like this:
Code:
chmod 777 /var/www/wordpress

, everything is fine and I can create file and install wordpress.

Than, I want to install new theme, plugin or make updates. Whenever I try to do this, again I need to change permissions, because I get something like this

than i get back to terminal and type this:
Code:
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/wordpress

(someone recommended me this command, I don't what actually does, but it lets me proceed with installation ) . I click Proceed button and theme,plugin,update install easily.

Than, as I'm developing wordpress themes, I need to change file inside /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/themes/themename/header.php, and than I can't write to this file.
Than I type this in terminal:
Code:
chown my_username /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/themes/themename/header.php

and now everything is fine and I can write to file.

Can anyone explain me nicely what I'm doing, and why I'm doing this? It's not about that I make everything work, I want to understand the process here.

I will be very grateful for your help,
regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

A little help understanding FIFOs?

This isn't strictly a Linux question, but... I've been working on a project to archive some streaming media for time shifting using 'mplayer' and have been using FIFOs to archive in Ogg Vorbis format: mkfifo program_name.wav (mplayer -ao pcm -aofile program_name.wav &)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding ${parameter}

I was reading Bash Cookbook and it had a line of command that assigned a value from var2 to var1 if var1 was empty. Someone told me I could do the same with ${parameter}. I'm just trying to understand this. Would the following be correct? For: answer= default=1Should I assume that the two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorbrca
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Groups

Hi cat /etc/group : .... oinstall:x:401: dba:x:400:oracle ... cat /etc/passwd|grep oracle oracle:x:130:401::/home/oracle:/bin/ksh 1. Is that mean that : ORACLE user has OINSTALL as it Primary group and DBA as secondary group ? 2. What is the linux comman to set ORACLE user with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding $PATH better

Dear all, I have a script which triggers a C program in it after initialising parameters. Below is the sample #! /bin/sh . /my_data/environment HOME=/home/execs/testing/ cd $HOME compare $1 $2 X exit $? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
10 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)