Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash logging al $() command lines Post 302581245 by Corona688 on Monday 12th of December 2011 12:57:12 PM
Old 12-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
I seem to remember you advising me that the following ksh construct doesn't work in bash (but if it does, it's worth a try):
Code:
(
# shell lines
) | program

Nothing wrong with that construct. ksh evaluates pipes in a different order is all, so read on the end of a pipe-chain would set values in the subshell in a bourne shell, but the parent shell in ksh.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH and command logging

Hi all... I've completed the task of deploying SSH over my 400 servers. I don't know if i'm right or wrong, but ssh doesn't do any command-logging, does it? Is there a app i can use to log all commands passed ( besides the usual .sh_history), whith no modification possible by the user, and how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is command for logging?

Hi, I am trying to recollect the command used to log a file. We use this command just before starting, say, installation. At the end you get a file capturing the series of commands you used during the course of time and sytems response. Could anybody please help. Thanks, Dasa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
3 Replies

3. Solaris

shell command logging

Does anyone have a simple method of logging all shell commands typed by a user (csh in our case)? - I could enable auditing, but this would be overkill - I could enable process accounting, but AFAIK, this does not log arguments Thanks all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minkie
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Full Command Logging?

I am looking for a really good command logging tool to improve the auditing of my servers. I have previously used snoopy but this is currently a bit flaky and causing serious problems for me, it doesn't look like it's been maintained since 2004, it didn't even want to compile until I added -fPIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash telnet session logging

I'm looking at allowing remote telnet into my server. like any security-minded administrator, I want to log what my users type on the telnet session. I'm using the script command to generate transcripts of the users session. I have /etc/profile set to automatically start the script command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a bash script even after logging out from the current session

HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Logging

I searched the forums for command logging and the user "Driver" seemed to provide a script for logging shell commands with related info like date and time. The subject was "logging command invocations -cmdlog" . I would be interested in this script. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraft
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH logging to file, limit lines

BASH Gurus: Anyone know how to append continuous output command appending to a file, but limit that file to no more than 20 lines? The program I have running is simply monitoring my UDP port 53 for incoming packets endlessly. I just need to keep this file from going over 20 lines. Once the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpius2k1
3 Replies
pcastctl(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       pcastctl(8)

NAME
pcastctl -- Podcast Producer daemons control interface SYNOPSIS
pcastctl status target on|off|start|stop|restart OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: status print status of running daemons target affect agent or server daemon start|stop|restart explicitly start/stop/restart daemon. Note that 'restart' will kill all instances of a given daemon, as will 'stop' if none is specified in the pid file. RETURN VALUES
0 Completed succesfully. 1 Action failed 10 Not run as root. 50 Target not recognized: use 'a', or 's'. 51 Action not recognized: use start|stop|restart 52 Executables not found; may need to reinstall Podcast Producer. 53 Process directory not found; may need to reinstall Mac OS X. 54 Timeout waiting for action to complete. 55 Launchd manipulation failure. FILES
/usr/libexec/podcastproducer/pcastagentd Podcast Producer agent daemon /usr/share/podcastproducer/pcastserverd Podcast Producer server daemon /var/run/pcastagentd.pid Podcast Producer agent process ID /var/run/pcastserverd.pid Podcast Producer server process ID /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pcastagentd.plist Launchd agent daemon control file /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pcastserverd.plist Launchd server daemon control file EXAMPLES
status of Podcast Producer agent daemon $ pcastctl agent status edit launchd configuration to launch server on system startup $ pcastctl server on DIAGNOSTICS
Warning: Warning: ## copies of (pcastagentd|pcastserverd) already running Trying to launch another daemon when one or more already running; will usually succeed, but may cause unpredictable behavior. See also RETURN VALUES, above. ERRORS
Error: failed to launch (executable) Tried to start/restart a give daemon, but failed. Error: process 'executable' not currently running Tried to kill a process which did not exist. SEE ALSO
pcast(1) launchd(8) HISTORY
This program was first introduced in Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard". It was inspired by xgridctl(8). BUGS
pcastctl(8) uses kill -TERM to allow the daemons a chance to die gracefully; there is currently no way to force a kill -KILL. Bug reports can be sent to bugreport.apple.com Feedback can be sent to podcastproducer@apple.com Mac OS September 29, 2004 Mac OS