Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting moving files to different directories Post 302580903 by elginmulizwa on Sunday 11th of December 2011 05:55:06 AM
Old 12-11-2011
but how do i group them for example i have .txt,.doc,.pdf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files between directories using SFTP

I want to connect to an SFTP server, GET some files, then move those files to a different directory on the SFTP server so I don't try to GET them next time. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move files between directories on the remote server from SFTP. I missing something obvious? And if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective moving of directories

Hi there, I'm fairly new to Unix and have been getting my head round the command line for a FreeNAS install that I just did. I need to move a whole bunch of directories from one location to another and need a bit of help! I understand the basics of the 'mv' command but am not sure how to specify... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: randomgooner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving directories

Hi Can I ask a (probably) easy question? I have a range of files in nested directories: subj_01/session_1/AAA/safe.txt subj_01/session_1/AAA/sample.txt subj_01/session_1/DDD/results.txt This is repeated for three sessions for each of subj_{01..026} Is there a way of copying the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: montywaite
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies
DH_INSTALLDOCS(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLDOCS(1)

NAME
dh_installdocs - install documentation into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installdocs [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdocs is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing documentation into usr/share/doc/package in package build directories. FILES
debian/package.docs List documentation files to be installed into package. debian/copyright The copyright file is installed into all packages, unless a more specific copyright file is available. debian/package.copyright debian/package.README.Debian debian/package.TODO Each of these files is automatically installed if present for a package. debian/README.Debian debian/TODO These files are installed into the first binary package listed in debian/control. Note that README.debian files are also installed as README.Debian, and TODO files will be installed as TODO.Debian in non-native packages. debian/package.doc-base Installed as doc-base control files. Note that the doc-id will be determined from the Document: entry in the doc-base control file in question. debian/package.doc-base.* If your package needs to register more than one document, you need multiple doc-base files, and can name them like this. OPTIONS
-A, --all Install all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. Note that this includes doc-base files. --link-doc=package Make the documentation directory of all packages acted on be a symlink to the documentation directory of package. This has no effect when acting on package itself, or if the documentation directory to be created already exists when dh_installdocs is run. To comply with policy, package must be a binary package that comes from the same source package. debhelper will try to avoid installing files into linked documentation directories that would cause conflicts with the linked package. The -A option will have no effect on packages with linked documentation directories, and copyright, changelog, README.Debian, and TODO files will not be installed. (An older method to accomplish the same thing, which is still supported, is to make the documentation directory of a package be a dangling symlink, before calling dh_installdocs.) file ... Install these files as documentation into the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified). EXAMPLES
This is an example of a debian/package.docs file: README TODO debian/notes-for-maintainers.txt docs/manual.txt docs/manual.pdf docs/manual-html/ NOTES
Note that dh_installdocs will happily copy entire directory hierarchies if you ask it to (similar to cp -a). If it is asked to install a directory, it will install the complete contents of the directory. Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLDOCS(1)