Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting directories and file arrangement in bash Post 302580696 by elginmulizwa on Friday 9th of December 2011 09:59:45 AM
Old 12-09-2011
directories and file arrangement in bash

im trying to write a script that will put files with different extensions into their specified directories

In the directory are files of various types, i want to arrange the files on individual directories under their type. There are three distinct types of files: 1) Text documents - files with extensions. Doc,. Txt,. Pdf, ... 2) multimedia files - with the extensions. Mpg,. Avi,. Mp3 ... 3) graphics files - with the extensions. Jpg,. Gif,. Png ... 4) All other files Files types 1-3 to move into individual directories and files of other types have to move in directories with names corresponding to the extension (you can bring them to uppercase - BAK, CPP ,...). i want the script to run with the following parameters: 1)-m path - if specified, the multimedia files will be moved to the directory PATH 2)-d PATH - specifies the path where you have to move your documents 3)-l indicates that when the file names should lead to lower case 4)-x indicates that they move to lower case file extension any ideas ??i am a newbie and im trying to learn bash scripting so i thought of this question

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file arrangement

Dear UNIX experts: Hi, I have a text file which the contents are arranged vertically down, line by line. How do use a loop (I think) to make it arrange in vertical arrangement with a tab delimitated and write to a new file? Eg: of source file Hello World Good-day Thanks Welcome The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: merry susana
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on file arrangement

Can anyone help me on this. I have a file that looks like this: color red green blue color pink yellow number one two gender male gender female The output would look like this: color red green blue pink yellow number one two gender male female I have over 5000 rows and i dont want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kharen11
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(w)get web server's directories + bash script

Hi everyone. I need to write a script which will download files/folders (a huge collection) to the local file server (centOS 4.4 Server), and check regularly (every 6 hours or so if any new files are present, or if the old ones were modified to update contents). Any insights on how to tackle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Directories In bash

Hi ALL I have small script that find 777 dir now i want to count these directories,Keep in mind there are many directories. This IS my code below. #!/bin/bash check=/var/www/html find $check -type d -perm 777 | while read DIR do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to monitor Modified Files/Directories

Hi All , I have a directory called "/usr/local/apache/docs/" inside this docs i have below directories , bash-2.05# pwd /usr/local/apache/docs/ bash-2.05#ls -l | less 2 drw-r-xr-x 3 root root 512 Aug 8 2010 Form1 2 drw-r-xr-x 3 root other 512 Mar 8 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanasekar_beem
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chose list of sub directories in a bash script file

Hi, I have a command in my bash script, searchDirectoryName.sh: DIR_NAME=$(find . -type d) echo "${DIR_NAME}" . ./Dir1 ./Dir1/1.0.2.1 ./Dir2 ./Dir2/1.1 ./Dir3 ./Dir3/2.2.1 How can I select only following directory names with second subdirectoies and without first ./ in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge values from multiple directories into one file in awk or bash

I am trying to merge or combine all $1 values in validation.txt from multiple directories into one new file and output it here tab-delimited:/home/cmccabe/Desktop/20x/total/total.txt. Each $2 value and the header would then be a new field in total.txt. I am not sure how to go about this as cat is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create sub directories from specific file extension

In the bash below I am trying to create sub-directories inside a directory from files with specific .bam extensions. There may be more then one $RDIR ing the directory and the .bam file(s) are trimmed (removing the extension and IonCode_0000_) and the result is the folder name that is saved in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to update file on prefix match in two directories

I am trying to use bash to loop through a directory /path/to/data using a prefix match from /path/to/file. That match is obtained and works using the code below (in green)... what I can not seem to do is populate or update the corresponding prefix_file.txt in /path/to/data with the values in each... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)					      General Commands Manual					     PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
pct-scanner-script - easy scan and create merged DjVu and PDF documents for archiving SYNOPSIS
pct-scanner-script [--help] DESCRIPTION
pct-scanner-script is a bash script and configuration system to easily scan documents and create a digital archiving. It can create DjVu PDF and JPEG outputs, in merged and individual files. It also has a configuration system where different configurations can be defined, making it easy to switch between configurations. Please use pct-scanner-script --help to find all program options, the complete help, and all examples. Features: - auto archiving in merged and individual DjVu, PDF, and JPEG files - auto and manual resume when scanning somehow fails - cascading configuration system, for easy customizing - easy command-line-style bash program, with useful options - archiving made possible with both adf and flatbed scanners - built for productivity and daily use - uses bash, scanadf and other mainstream processing tools - multilanguage commandline output OPTIONS
-h, --help, -? Show summary of options, help, and examples. DEBUGGING
This program is a helper script to easy scan and automated digital document archiving for normal and adf scanners. You can debug this script by running it as bash -x pct-scanner-script [options]. The script is just a nice wrapper for the scanadf, DjVu and PDF tools. SEE ALSO
scanadf(1), AUTHOR
pct-scanner-script and this manual page are written by: Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>. March 31, 2009 PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)