Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check variable value when nothing is returned Post 302580637 by ni2 on Friday 9th of December 2011 06:11:56 AM
Old 12-09-2011
Hi,

Try:
Code:
man test

Code:
if [ -z $proc_pid ]...

YMMV

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the returned value of a function to a variable

Hi, Can anyone please show me how to assign the returned value of a function to a variable? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trivektor
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to a variable with row(using -n) returned by sed

Hi Friends, REQUIREMENT: Want to delete files from the current directory match with the same in the file test.txt set -x i=1 echo "i=$i" COUNT=`sed -n '$=' test.txt` echo "Count=$COUNT" while do "## Here is error##" FILETOREMOVE=`sed -n \'$i,1p\' test.txt` echo $FILETOREMOVE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a variable contains a .

Hi I am writing a bash script and would like to check is a variable contains a . or not ex. a=102 output ok a=1.02 output not ok Many thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gekkos
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is zero

I have seen many posts for this sort of problem but I just did not know how to use it for my issue. A number is assigned to a variable and I wanted to check if it is a zero or non zero. Example of my numbers are below: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujiv
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the value of a variable

#!/bin/sh echo "Running Script to capture ORACLE Erros" # Change Directory to the actual logs path cd /home/nv8510/lognew err_var=`grep -in "ORA-" *` if then echo "THESE ARE THE ORACLE ERROR OCCURED" echo "$err_var" echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
7 Replies

8. Programming

Check The value a pointer returned by struct s_client != 0

Hi guys , i got segment fault , and when i trace , found it happens since the value of pointer which is returned by Struct S_client (*ptr) is zero if (ptr !=0)i know , adding above line of code is not the solution and not correct for the case since above line only check for the pointer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pooyair
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is having value

I have a script /root/asas with following contents. #!/bin/bash ha=`cat /etc/passwd | grep sandra` if ; then echo "Sandra is in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" else echo "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" fi What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check variable

Hi people, I would like to start a review of my config variable to check whether they have been changed and if not then there is only an echo. If they have been changed to my other commands are executed. I hope you can help me. with best regards JPad edit: here my code if ;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPad
8 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)