Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read from Multiple character delimited flat file Post 302580592 by ni2 on Friday 9th of December 2011 02:07:49 AM
Old 12-09-2011
Hi,

You could also use

Code:
$echo "9882590|~|20111207|~|K03501000063005574033961|~|K|~|" | awk -v FS="|" '{print $3}'

Or you could change |~| to | then pass on to awk.

Code:
$echo "9882590|~|20111207|~|K03501000063005574033961|~|K|~|" | sed 's/|~|/|/g' | awk -v FS="|" '{print $2}'

After more searching.
Code:
$echo "9882590|~|20111207|~|K03501000063005574033961|~|K|~|" | awk -v FS="[|~]+" '{print $2}'

Last edited by ni2; 12-09-2011 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: Did more searching.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a flat file based on multiple colums(using character position)

Hi, I have an urgent task here. I am required to sort a flat file based on multiple columns which are based on the character position in that line. I am restricted to use the character position instead of the space and sort +1 +2 etc to do the sorting. I understand that there is a previous... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucubird
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read lines from a flat file

i have some commands written line by line in one flat file i have to read each linefrom this file(file name passed as parameter) and then i have to execute this How can i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bihani4u
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read fixed length flat file....

Hi Gurus, Thanks in advance... I am new to writing shell scripting and help me out reading a flat file with fixed length. I have a fixed length flat file with storename(lenth 6) , emailaddress(lenth 15), location(10). There is NO delimiters in that file. Like the following str00001.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willywilly
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the first column in a flat file with ~ as delimiter

I have one flat file like below id1~col~batch1 id2~col2~batch2 id3~col3~batch3 I need to read the first column one by one and I need to write one db2 query based on that column1 Like for (i=0;i<=10;i++) do insert into table column (con_id) values (select column from table where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_886
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flat File - Comma Delimited

I have a flat file whose contents are comma delimited and there are 84 columns in total, so everytime I try to view the contents, things get over lapped it becomes diffcult to read through the result set. Is there a command / what would be the best way...if I want to view the results alligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read one delimited file, search another delimited file

Hello folks, I have another doozy. I have two files. The first file has four fields in it. These four fields map to different locations in my second file. What I want to do is read the master file (file 2 - 23 fields) and compare each line against each record in file 1. If I get a match in all four... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle table extract: all columns are not converting into pipe delimited in flat file

Hi All, I am writing a shell script to extract oracle table into a pipe dilemited flat file. Below is my code and I have attached two files that I have abled to generate so far. 1. Table.txt ==> database extract file 2. flat.txt ==> pipe delimited after some manipulation of the original db... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first NULL Character in Flat File

We have a flat file with below data : ^@^@^@^@00000305^@^@^@^@^@^@430^@430^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@09079989530As we can see ^@ is Null character in this file I want to remove only the first few null characters before string 00000305 How can we do that, any idea. I want a new file without first few... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
5 Replies
XML2(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   XML2(1)

NAME
xml2 - convert xml documents in a flat format 2xml - convert flat format into xml html2 - convert html documents in a flat format 2html - convert flat format into html csv2 - convert csv files in a flat format 2csv - convert flat format into csv SYNOPSIS
<xml2|2xml|html2|2html|csv2|2csv> > outfile < infile DESCRIPTION
There are six tools. Except csv2 and and 2csv they don't take any command-line arguments. They are all simple filters which can be used to read files from standard input in one format and output it to standard output in another format. The flat format used by the tools is specific to these tools. It is a syntax for representing structured markup in a way that makes it easy to process with line-oriented tools. The same format is used for HTML and XML; in fact, you can think of html2 as converting HTML to XHTML and running xml2 on the result; likewise 2html and 2xml. (Of course, this isn't how the implementation works.) SEE ALSO
This program does normally not include any documentation in form of manpages. However it has a real excellent documentation online with a lot of example. In fact this manpage was based on this documentation. Please find it on: http://dan.egnor.name/xml2/ref Examples can be found here: http://dan.egnor.name/xml2/examples AUTHOR
xml2 was written by Dan Egnor. This manpage was written by Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@in-medias-res.com> for the Debian project, but may be used by others under the same terms as xml2 is distributed. BUGS
Bugs can be reported through the Debian Bug tracking system. 7h february 2008 XML2(1)