Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt in integer comparison
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt in integer comparison Post 302579974 by morbid_angel on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 06:14:05 AM
Old 12-07-2011
Doubt in integer comparison

Hi
What is the difference between following commands

Command1
Code:
length=1
if [[ $length > 15 ]] ; then
   echo "Hellow world"
fi

Command 2
Code:
length=1
if [[ $length -gt 15 ]] ; then
   echo "Hellow world"
fi

which is correct usage from this

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

comparison between pointer and integer

I received a warning when I tried to compile my program that said: warning: comparison between pointer and integer Could you please explain to me what this means, and in what ways I could possibly fix this? Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjung10
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer check (again)...

I have search the forum for an easier way to write this code. I have two separate 'if' to do this and it works but am wondering if someone knows a quick way to combine them. I want anything between 1 and 100 but not '01' or '005', '0010', etc. if ) ]] || ]; then echo "Try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison doubt..

Hi, /etc/fstab file contains: ================== cluster_root#root / advfs rw 0 1 cluster_usr#usr /usr advfs rw 0 2 cluster_var#var /var advfs rw 0 2 /proc /proc procfs rw 0 0 t_d#t_f /t_m advfs rw 0 2 /dev/disk/dsk1c /ufs_mnt ufs ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex for for integer from 0-7 except 2

Hi, I am trying to use a regular exp to match any number between 0 and 7 except 2...... I am using: echo $myvar | egrep "{1}{1}" Which isnt working.... Please can someone help? Thanks yonderboy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonderboy
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer comparison in ksh

Hi, I am just trying to compare integer in ksh. can you please tell me what's wrong with this code... or give me suggestions on alternative. sample code: i=0; if ; then echo inside if fi Thanks in advance! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to Use a Variable as Integer?

hello, i am writing a script that takes the UID from the PASSWD and then i want to increse the Number by one. for the Next user. i cannot get this to work that a variable is as interger example: set i = 0 set $i = $+1 it's in tcsh if it's mather (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
10 Replies

7. Programming

warning: comparison between pointer and integer

Hi guys :D I am still playing with my C handbook and yes, as you can see I have small problem as always :cool: I wrote a C code #include <stdio.h> #define MESSAGE 100 int main(void) { char input_mes - Pastebin.com And when I try to compile it I get following errors from gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] String integer comparison

I am trying to execute something like this file=/tmp/test.txt firstline=$(head -n 1 $file) value=`echo $firstline | cut -d'=' -f2` if then echo true fi i read the first line of a file, cut to the numeric value in the first line and check if it greater than 2 but for some... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhan_dc
11 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)