Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting few lines from a file dynamically Post 302579933 by vivek d r on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 04:19:51 AM
Old 12-07-2011
oh thanks your code is working.. :-)
similarly i have one more doubt...

hre is the part of the code
Code:
#code below adds the above paramters to my.cnf
no=28
for i in $(seq 1 8)
do
        no=`expr $no + 1`
        val2=$( eval eval echo \$variable$i )
        sed -i "$noi $val2" my.cnf
done

here the variable1, variable2 etc etc has some content which is added to my.cnf file after line 28.. so here i am trying to add them dynamically... but its givine the error as below..

Code:
sed: -e expression #1, char 17: unterminated `s' command
sed: -e expression #1, char 3: extra characters after command
sed: -e expression #1, char 2: unknown command: `m'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Lines from .csv file

Hello All, I have a .csv file and I have to delete the selcted records stored in a vairable e.g echo $lname 7 88 91 94 97 100 103 106 I dont know how to pass the variable name to "sed" for deleting the $lname from a file can any one help as this is very urgent. $lname is changing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 009satya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the lines at the end of the file.

I have a text file with two coulmn first column is just used in to show the line number, these line number are not there in the real file. I want to delete the line 16(in this file) here, even tough there is no data inside it . this empty line is causing me a problem by throwing me garbage... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting few lines from a file based on identifiers dynamically

i have something like this in a file called mysqldump.sql -- -- Table structure for table `Table11` -- DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `Table11`; /*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client = @@character_set_client */; /*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */; CREATE TABLE `Table11` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending lines to a file dynamically

Hi all, I have a file with some number of lines. I need to add certain number of lines from another file which may vary according to the user's input and to it. eg code: I/P file 1 apps/file/xyz apps/file/abc apps/file/def file 2 progs/file/xyz ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Concatenation/Joining of lines in a dynamically generated file

Hi, I have a file containing many records delimited by pipe (|). Each record should contain 17 columnns/fields. there are some fields having fields less than 17.So i am extracting those records to a file using the below command awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"} NF !=17 {print}' feedfile.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
8 Replies
regexpr(3GEN)					     String Pattern-Matching Library Functions					     regexpr(3GEN)

NAME
regexpr, compile, step, advance - regular expression compile and match routines SYNOPSIS
cc [flag]... [file]... -lgen [library]... #include <regexpr.h> char *compile(char *instring, char *expbuf, const char *endbuf); int step(const char *string, const char *expbuf); int advance(const char *string, const char *expbuf); extern char *loc1, loc2, locs; extern int nbra, regerrno, reglength; extern char *braslist[], *braelist[]; DESCRIPTION
These routines are used to compile regular expressions and match the compiled expressions against lines. The regular expressions compiled are in the form used by ed(1). The parameter instring is a null-terminated string representing the regular expression. The parameter expbuf points to the place where the compiled regular expression is to be placed. If expbuf is NULL, compile() uses mal- loc(3C) to allocate the space for the compiled regular expression. If an error occurs, this space is freed. It is the user's responsibil- ity to free unneeded space after the compiled regular expression is no longer needed. The parameter endbuf is one more than the highest address where the compiled regular expression may be placed. This argument is ignored if expbuf is NULL. If the compiled expression cannot fit in (endbuf-expbuf) bytes, compile() returns NULL and regerrno (see below) is set to 50. The parameter string is a pointer to a string of characters to be checked for a match. This string should be null-terminated. The parameter expbuf is the compiled regular expression obtained by a call of the function compile(). The function step() returns non-zero if the given string matches the regular expression, and zero if the expressions do not match. If there is a match, two external character pointers are set as a side effect to the call to step(). The variables set in step() are loc1 and loc2. loc1 is a pointer to the first character that matched the regular expression. The variable loc2 points to the character after the last character that matches the regular expression. Thus if the regular expression matches the entire line, loc1 points to the first char- acter of string and loc2 points to the null at the end of string. The purpose of step() is to step through the string argument until a match is found or until the end of string is reached. If the regular expression begins with ^, step() tries to match the regular expression at the beginning of the string only. The advance() function is similar to step(); but, it only sets the variable loc2 and always restricts matches to the beginning of the string. If one is looking for successive matches in the same string of characters, locs should be set equal to loc2, and step() should be called with string equal to loc2. locs is used by commands like ed and sed so that global substitutions like s/y*//g do not loop forever, and is NULL by default. The external variable nbra is used to determine the number of subexpressions in the compiled regular expression. braslist and braelist are arrays of character pointers that point to the start and end of the nbra subexpressions in the matched string. For example, after calling step() or advance() with string sabcdefg and regular expression (abcdef), braslist[0] will point at a and braelist[0] will point at g. These arrays are used by commands like ed and sed for substitute replacement patterns that contain the notation for subexpressions. Note that it is not necessary to use the external variables regerrno, nbra, loc1, loc2 locs, braelist, and braslist if one is only checking whether or not a string matches a regular expression. EXAMPLES
Example 1 The following is similar to the regular expression code from grep: #include<regexpr.h> . . . if(compile(*argv, (char *)0, (char *)0) == (char *)0) regerr(regerrno); . . . if (step(linebuf, expbuf)) succeed(); RETURN VALUES
If compile() succeeds, it returns a non-NULL pointer whose value depends on expbuf. If expbuf is non-NULL, compile() returns a pointer to the byte after the last byte in the compiled regular expression. The length of the compiled regular expression is stored in reglength. Otherwise, compile() returns a pointer to the space allocated by malloc(3C). The functions step() and advance() return non-zero if the given string matches the regular expression, and zero if the expressions do not match. ERRORS
If an error is detected when compiling the regular expression, a NULL pointer is returned from compile() and regerrno is set to one of the non-zero error numbers indicated below: ERROR MEANING 11 Range endpoint too large. 16 Bad Number. 25 "digit" out or range. 36 Illegal or missing delimiter. 41 No remembered string search. 42 (~) imbalance. 43 Too many (. 44 More than 2 numbers given in [~}. 45 } expected after . 46 First number exceeds second in {~}. 49 [] imbalance. 50 Regular expression overflow. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), malloc(3C), attributes(5), regexp(5) NOTES
When compiling multi-threaded applications, the _REENTRANT flag must be defined on the compile line. This flag should only be used in multi-threaded applications. SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 regexpr(3GEN)