Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Japanese Language in Suse
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Japanese Language in Suse Post 302579846 by hedkandi on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 09:21:14 PM
Old 12-06-2011
Japanese Language in Suse

I had just added Japanese language as my secondary language with yast and I am still not able to view Japanese characters (they appear mangled)

I've copied two text files from windows to the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586), one with UTF and the other with ANSI. When viewed with cat and more command all I am getting is weird characters

Code:
my-mnag0:/tmp # cat jptest-utf8.txt
良い朝my-mnag0:/tmp # 
my-mnag0:/tmp # 
my-mnag0:/tmp # cat jptest.txt
oD0gmy-mnag0:/tmp #

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Do I need to reboot for the affect to take place?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typing in Japanese language

Hi. I am running Solaris 10,HPUX 11.31 and AIX 6.1. I am trying to get my system to write in Japanese. I can choose the Japanese language for the system to display, but I cannot figure out how to write in Japanese. I have set up my system, and Mozilla (including the menu and web pages) to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Japanese Language support (Montavista)

Hi, I am working on Montavista linux. Japanese language is not getting rendered. I executed fc-list command and found that japanese fonts were not installed. But adding sazanami-gothic.ttf from the web is also not working, fc-list does not display japanese fonts yet. How can i add... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: teluser123
0 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)