Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Simple while loop does not exit Post 302579718 by analyst on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 11:32:46 AM
Old 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
I would say its not a good idea to use the same name for a variable and a file when you use both in the same script... (For me it was already confusing...) Then of course there is this syntax error: a while expects straight after a "do".... So try your script again and use capital letters for your variables (after placing correctly the "do"). Does it work?
Yes it works.

This must be the reason. Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop exit

i wrote a while script as part of a huge program. this script, once picked, begins to output data to the person using it. pretty easy, as the person doesn't have to keep typing commands to get the output that the while loop automatically throws out. now, the thing is, while this while-script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit out of a while loop with error

im running a while loop as a file watcher, with incremental counter on the retries..however when the retries reach it's limit i want it exit and echo and error and stop the batch. Im not sure the code i have will do that already... Here is what i have that works: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit from loop

hi, how to exit from "if" loop?actually i have mutliple "if" conditions, i have to exit from each "if" loop,if it is true...:confused: Please suggest me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange exit of while loop

This code is used to check for duplicate ip and hostnames in an /etc/hosts file CENTRAL is path to /etc/hosts AWK =awk #check CENTRAL for duplicate ips or hostnames# grep -v "^#" $CENTRAL | $AWK '{ print $1, $2; }' | \ while read ip hostname do if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trimike
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Strucked in Simple if

Whats the wrong with the following code: if ; then echo "File XYZ Exist" if ] ; then echo "File abc is not empty, script continues" else echo "File abc is empty, script aborts" exit 0 fi else echo "File XYZ does not exist" exit 0 Error: testscript.ksh:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

[Solved] ssh debug1: Exit status 254 problem

Hello; Am experiencing odd problem with ssh: ========= ssh -vvv remote_host : : debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 65536 debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 99 id 0 debug2: shell request accepted on channel 0 debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

For loop exit

Below for loop not exiting. Can someone help? JBOSS_INST_ARGS=01 02 if ; then for i in $JBOSS_INST_ARGS; do /u/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/jboss_init_wise$i.sh start; done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple script not working- for loop

Hi all, Please guide me writing this script Follwing is the file which I have created, which contains the files to be copied. cat system1-dr.txt /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/vfstab /etc/profile /etc/default/init /etc/shells /etc/dfs/dfstab /etc/dfs/sharetab... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Rsh does not close connection on exit

Dear all, We have a service that we start up remotely with rsh but unfortunately, the rsh never returns to the calling server. This seems to be because the processes of the service we've just started hold the port open.RBATTE1 @ /home/RBATTE1>netstat -na|grep 49.51 tcp4 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Perl, Deep recursion? exit() ignored?

Hi all, I am calling a subroutine which checks if a log file is writeable and if not, prints something stdout and also log something into the same file, which doesn't work neither of course. Anyway, there is enough exit() calls, that should stop it working, but the problem is, that I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)