Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting list of all predecessors and successors for given PID Post 302579399 by bzk on Monday 5th of December 2011 03:40:50 PM
Old 12-05-2011
Thanks jim mcnamara.

--forest gives me all data I need, but also much more than I expected. So I would have to create some smart "grep" logic to drop all data I don't need.

Finally, I decided to use combined solution:
1. To have all tree down from some pid, use ptreee -Gap <PID> and use awk to get pids.
2. To have all tree up from some pid, use following logic:

Code:
_currentPid=<requested PID>
while (( _currentPid != 1 ))
do
    _ppid=""
    ps -p ${_currentPid} -o ppid= | read _ppid _junk         
    print ${_ppid}
    _currentPid=${_ppid}
done

Thanks and Regards
bzk

Last edited by radoulov; 12-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting PID

Hi , I am trying to get the PID using the following command: $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess | ptree PID or $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess;ptree PID it is possible to get PID, such that I check whether any orphan process is running. solution... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another PID ?

I have searched to find an anwer to no avail, I hope you can help me. I have a.ksh that many people call and a.ksh calls b.ksh b.ksh is also invoked stand-alone by many people as well In b.ksh I want to do something different if it was not involked by a.ksh. How can I do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
7 Replies

7. Programming

Print ancestor list in c (name and PID)

I am trying to write a C program that prints its ancestor name and PID For example: Lets say my program name is prog1 then the output should be prog1 with PID: 2345 bash with PID: 4567 .... init with PID: 1 This is just a scratch work. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script -- Suggestions to list and kill PID's sequentially

Hi, I'm trying to write a script where i'm trying to grep the PID and the associated file and list them. Then execute the KILL command sequentially on the listed PID's for ".tra" files ==================================================== ps -aux | grep mine adm 27739 0.2 0.8 1131588... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali1687
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pid=$!

Hello, I would like to know what this command means? PID=$! what does "!" stand for? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: googlietdr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all outbound sockets given a PID?

I used netstat -tp <pid> to list all Foreign Addresses i.e OutBound sockets on Linux. Likewise, i wish to list all Foreign Addresses on Sparc Solaris. I get illegal option -- t when i try this command on Solaris. The second query i have is that in the output of netstat command some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	 Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal - A Visitor for breadth-first traversal a Tree::Simple hierarchy SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal; # create an visitor my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal->new(); # pass our visitor to the tree $tree->accept($visitor); # print our results print join ", " => $visitor->getResults(); # this will print this: # 1, 2, 3, 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 1.1.1 # assuming your tree is like this: # 1 # 1.1 # 1.1.1 # 1.2 # 2 # 2.1 # 3 # 3.1 DESCRIPTION
This implements a breadth-first traversal of a Tree::Simple hierarchy. This can be an alternative to the built in depth-first traversal of the Tree::Simple "traverse" method. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" method to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the traversal as well. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are collected. This can be used to customize output, or to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. getResults This method returns the accumulated results of the application of the node filter to the tree. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::BreadthFirstTraversal(3pm)