Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with calculating frequency of specific word in a string Post 302579038 by bartus11 on Sunday 4th of December 2011 05:09:58 AM
Old 12-04-2011
From http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrun.html:
Code:
-0[octal/hexadecimal] 

specifies the input record separator ($/ ) as an octal or hexadecimal number.

Octal value of the ASCII code for "#" is "043", so now "#" is specifying record boundaries, not newlines. Now to your second question:
Code:
/(.*)\n(.*)/

In that new record whatever is before a newline is matched by red part in the regex, so the header (read_...) goes there. What is after newline is matched by blue part, so the line with Zs goes there.
This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining Word Frequency of Specific Terms

Hello, I require a perl script that will read a .txt file that contains words like 224.199.207.IN-ADDR.ARPA. IN NS NS1.internet.com. 4.200.162.207.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR beeriftw.internet.com. arroyoeinternet.com. IN A 200.199.227.49 I want to focus on words: IN... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
23 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a word at specific location in a string

Hi All , I have different strings (SQL queries infact) of different lengths such as: 1. "SELECT XYZ FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='123' " 2. "DELETE FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='567'" 3. "SELECT * FROM ABC" I need to find out the word coming after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating cumulative frequency

Hi, I have a file containing the frequency's of an element sorted in ascending order. The file looks something like this: #Element Frequency 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search-word-print-specific-string

Hi, Our input xml looks like: <doc> <str name="account_id">1111</str> <str name="prd_id">DHEP155EK</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str name="prd_id">394531662</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a String for a Specific Word

Hello, I'm almost there with scripting, and I've looked at a few examples that could help me out here. But I'm still at a lost where to start. I'm looking to parse each line in the log file below and save the output like below. Log File AABBCGCAT022|242|3 AABBCGCAT023|243|4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating frequency of values within bins

Hi, I am working with files containing 2 columns in which i need to come up with the frequency/count of values in col. 2 falling within specifics binned values of col. 1. the contents of a sample file is shown below: 15 12.5 15 11.2 16 0.2 16 1.4 17 1.6 18 4.5 17 5.6 12 8.6 11 7.2 9 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating cumulative frequency using awk

Hi, I wanted to calculate cumulative frequency distribution of my data that involves several arithmetic calls. I did things in excel but its taking me forever. this is what I want to do: var1.txt contains n observations which I have to compute for frequency which is given by 1/n and subsequently... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting: frequency of specific word in a string and statistics

Hello friends, I need a BIG help from UNIX collective intelligence: I have a CSV file like this: VALUE,TIMESTAMP,TEXT 1,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,"RT @gracecheree: Praying God sends me a really great man one day. Gotta trust in his timing. 0,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,@sendi__... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraterions
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get string before specific word in UNIX

Hi All, I'm writing unix shell script and I have these files. I need to get name before _DETL.tmp. ABC_AAA_DETL.tmp ABC_BBB_DETL.tmp ABC_CCC_DETL.tmp PQR_DETL.tmp DEF_DETL.tmp JKL_DETL.tmp YUI_DETL.tmp TG_NM_DDD_DETL.tmp TG_NM_EEE_DETL.tmp GHJ_DETL.tmp RTY_DETL.tmp output will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)