Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help splitting huge single record file Post 302578861 by leolson on Friday 2nd of December 2011 03:40:06 PM
Old 12-02-2011
Ah ha! That's it. In the back of my mind I knew that you could do regex record separators in awk, but for some reason it never occurred to me to try it here. It worked perfectly.
Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a record and adding a record to a file

Hi, I am new to UNIX scripting and woiuld appreicate your help... Input file contains only one (but long) record: aaaaabbbbbcccccddddd..... Desired file: NEW RECORD #new record (hardcoded) added as first record - its length is irrelevant# aaaaa bbbbb ccccc ddddd ... ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsolap
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on record sin another file

All, We receive a file with a large no of records (records can vary) and we have to split it into two files based on another file. e.g. File1: UHDR 2008112 "25187","00000022","00",21-APR-1991,"" ,"D",-000000519,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ,21-APR-1991... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on splitting this huge file

Hi , i have files coming in my system which are very huge in MB and GBs, all these files are in a single line, there is no newline character. I need to get only last 700 bytes of these files, of this i am splitting the files by "split -b 700 filename" but this gives all the splitted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the Huge file into several files...

Hi I have to write a script to split the huge file into several pieces. The file columns is | pipe delimited. The data sample is as: 6625060|1420215|07308806|N|20100120|5572477081|+0002.79|+0000.00|0004|0001|......... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakteja
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Splitting the single csv file

Hi, I have a requiement where in i will get a single file but there will be mutiple headers. Suppose say for eg: Header1 Data... Data... Header2 Data.. Data.. Header3 Data.. Data.. I want to split each with the corresponding data into a single file. Please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weknowd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting & reformating a single file

I have a bif text file with the following format: d1_03 fr:23 d1_03 fr:56 d1_03 fr:67 d1_03 fr:78 d1_01 fr:35 d1_01 fr:29 d1_01 fr:45 d2_09 fr:34 d2_09 fr:78 d3_98 fr:90 d3_98 fr:104 d3_98 fr:360 I have like thousands of such lines I want to reformat this file based on column 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a huge line of file into multiple lines with fixed number of columns

Hi, I have a huge file with a single line. But I want to break that line into lines of with each line having five columns. My file is like this: code: "hi","there","how","are","you?","It","was","great","working","with","you.","hope","to","work","you." I want it like this: code:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting single file into n files

Hi all, I am new to scripting and I have a requirement we have source file as HEADER 01.10.2010 14:32:37 NAYA TA0022 TA0000 20000001;20060612;99991231;K4;02;3 20000008;20080624;99991231;K4;02;3 20000026;19840724;99991231;KK;01;3 20000027;19840724;99991231;KK;01;3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srk409
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching record based on Uniq Key from huge file.

Hi i want to fetch 100k record from a file which is looking like as below. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single file to multiple files

Hi Friends , Please guide me with the code to extract multiple files from one file . The File Looks like ( Suppose a file has 2 tables list ,column length may vary ) H..- > File Header.... H....- >Table 1 Header.... D....- > Table 1 Data.... T....- >Table 1 Trailer.... H..-> Table 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AspiringD
1 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)