Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: if statement problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if statement problem Post 302578527 by agama on Thursday 1st of December 2011 09:05:24 PM
Old 12-01-2011
Something like this will stop when the user enters CTL-D and illustrates saving failed names:

Code:
list=""
while read username
do
   list="$list,$username"  # save list of names, introduces a leading comma
done

echo "${list#,}   #ditch the leading comma

This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement problem

I keep getting an error at line 21, it doesn't like my if statement. Previously I have tried using (( )), but still get errors. The current error is that server_busy is not found. This is the script: #! /bin/ksh server_busy="na" for file in $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 do echo " ${file}\t\c" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coughlin74
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with an IF statement

I need an IF statement that will compare the contents of the variable CX with the actual string "CP". ie. If the contents of $CX are NOT equal to the actual string "CP" then blah blah blah. I have tried a number of things including the following....... if ]; then if ]; then if ];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement problem

hi all. i just have a very small problem. i have a menu of 7 choices. i want an if statement so that if the user chooses anything except inside the 1 to 7 range, i can handle the error for it. i tried this: if ] then ....... fi (but it dont work) ...any suggestions? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If Statement Problem..

The problem I am having here is that only the 1st option is executed, no matter if I pick yes or no. What am I doing wrong? How can I get this working right without resorting to a case statement? echo "This is the max size your lvol can be:" echo $MAXSIZE echo echo Do you want to max out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement problem

See https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/96846-if-statement-problem.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement problem

Hi I have a bash script like this if then echo "A" else echo "B" fi $1 is something like 02350 (there is always a trailing '0') and I would like to have an if based on the value of the digits after the 0. Can anybody help? Thanks, Sarah (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having problem with if statement

Could someone help me out with this if statement? It's supposed to get a person's website, but it isn't working when I run it. website="" echo "Would you like to enter a website? Enter Yes/No" read choice if then while do echo "Please enter a website:"; read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sotau
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

while statement problem

Hi, Here is a big head scratcher for me.... I'm creating a loop with while reading lines from a file called example.txt: #!/bin/sh while read line do some command > another file ----- output to another file done < example.txt I would like that another file to be unique for every... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem if statement

echo "Enter the variable: " " read var1 echo " " for i in ib eb atm do if ; then mv properties environment.properties break else echo "No changes to $var1 " fi done When i run and enter the eb it's not working.Any suggestions please.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with If statement

Hi All, I am writing an if statement to check multiple conditions, but when I try to execute the script it is breaking at the point of if statement by showing the issue below. Code I am using is given below. if -a ] then .... else ... fi I am not understanding... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies
lpinfo(8)							    Apple Inc.								 lpinfo(8)

NAME
lpinfo - show available devices or drivers SYNOPSIS
lpinfo [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -l ] [ --device-id device-id-string ] [ --exclude-schemes scheme-list ] [ --include- schemes scheme-list ] [ --language locale ] [ --make-and-model name ] [ --product name ] -m lpinfo [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -l ] [ --exclude-schemes scheme-list ] [ --include-schemes scheme-list ] [ --timeout seconds ] -v DESCRIPTION
lpinfo lists the available devices or drivers known to the CUPS server. The first form (-m) lists the available drivers, while the second form (-v) lists the available devices. OPTIONS
lpinfo accepts the following options: -E Forces encryption when connecting to the server. -U username Sets the username to use when connecting to the server. -h server[:port] Selects an alternate server. -l Shows a "long" listing of devices or drivers. --device-id device-id-string Specifies the IEEE-1284 device ID to match when listing drivers with the -m option. --exclude-schemes scheme-list Specifies a comma-separated list of device or PPD schemes that should be excluded from the results. Static PPD files use the "file" scheme. --include-schemes scheme-list Specifies a comma-separated list of device or PPD schemes that should be included in the results. Static PPD files use the "file" scheme. --language locale Specifies the language to match when listing drivers with the -m option. --make-and-model name Specifies the make and model to match when listing drivers with the -m option. --product name Specifies the product to match when listing drivers with the -m option. --timeout seconds Specifies the timeout when listing devices with the -v option. COMPATIBILITY
The lpinfo command is unique to CUPS. SEE ALSO
lpadmin(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 by Apple Inc. 5 December 2008 CUPS lpinfo(8)