Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Simple Question I'm Just A Retard Post 302578004 by Corona688 on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 01:10:40 PM
Old 11-30-2011
Don't post the same topic across multiple forums. It's rude and you agreed not to do so when you registered anyway.

You also agreed to follow the homework rules when you used the homework forum. That means filling out the homework template. If you don't fill out the homework template we're not allowed to help you.

It'd also really, really help if you show what you tried even a little. Even pseudocode, or a program that doesn't work at all, is something to start from. We can't just hand you canned answers from nowhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question?

I've been a Linux user for quite some time, started out with Red Hat and Mandrake, and just recently moved to Slackware linux.... my question is this: Is there a big difference between Linux and Unix? If so, what? I was just looking at Sun's Solaris 8 thats free for download on Intel... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cuthbert
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simple Question

Friends, I did following exercise $ echo '' > test $ od -b test $ echo "">test $ od -b test $echo > test $od -b test Every time I got the following output 0000000 012 0000001 But 012 is octal value for new line character . Even though there is no apperent new line character... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

Hi, Please don't berate me over the simplicity of these questions. I have recently gotten into bash shell scripting and enjoy it quite a bit. One thing I have not found the answer to though is when naming a shell script, what extension is normally used (ie myscript.?)? Also where is the standard... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I had a script in solaris wich i read data, for example: Number 1: _ and the cursor use to be in '_' place because in the code of the script i write: echo "Number 1:\c" but i copy the script to a linux and the cursor 'jump' to the begining of the next line like: Number 1:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple question

hi everybody; trying to c unix programming and ive stucked with a problem: simple program filedr=open("tempfile",O_RDWR|O_TRUNC,0); write(filedr,msg1,6); int i; i=read(filedr,msg3,4); it returns 0 bytes read ... why? well if i try to poll() before read , it doesnt indicate POLLHUP or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if then else question

I am having trouble making this statement work. I am passing in a number value for the number of days to keep archive logs for and wanted to make sure that it is a number. I have a script that will return 1 for is a number and 0 for is not a number. I also want to make sure that the number is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
acctprc(8)						      System Manager's Manual							acctprc(8)

NAME
acctprc1, acctprc2, accton - Perform process-accounting procedures SYNOPSIS
acctprc1 [InFile] acctprc2 accton [OutFile] DESCRIPTION
The three acctprc commands, acctprc1, acctprc2, and accton, are used in the runacct shell procedure to produce process-accounting reports. acctprc1 [InFile] The acctprc1 command is used to read records from standard input that are in a format defined by the acct structure in the /usr/include/sys/acct.h header file. This process adds the login names that correspond to user IDs, and then writes corresponding ASCII records to standard output. For each process, the record format includes the following seven unheaded columns: The user ID column includes both traditional and assigned user identification numbers listed in the /etc/passwd file. The login name is the one used for the user ID in the /etc/passwd file. The number of seconds the process consumed when executed during prime-time hours. Prime-time and nonprime-time hours are defined in the /usr/sbin/acct/holidays file. The number of seconds the process consumed when executed during nonprime-time hours. Total number of characters transferred. Total number of blocks read and written. Mean memory size (in kilobyte units). When specified, InFile contains a list of login sessions in a format defined by the utmp structure in the /usr/include/utmp.h header file. The login session records are sorted according to user ID and login name. When InFile is not specified, acctprc1 gets login names from the password file /etc/passwd. The information in InFile is used to distinguish different login names that share the same user ID. acctprc2 The acctprc2 command reads, from standard input, the records written by acctprc1, summarizes them according to user ID and name, and writes sorted summaries to standard output as total accounting records in the tacct format (see the acctmerg command). accton [OutFile] When no parameters are specified with the accton command, account processing is turned off. When you specify an existing OutFile file, process accounting is turned on, and the kernel adds records to that file. You must specify an Outfile to start process accounting. Many shell script procedures expect the file name /var/adm/pacct, the standard process-accounting file. EXAMPLES
To add a user name to each process-accounting record in a binary file and then write these modified binary-file records to an ASCII file named out.file, enter the following line to an accounting shell script: /usr/sbin/acct/acctprc1 < /var/adm/pacct >out.file A user name is added to each record. The raw data in the pacct file is converted to ASCII and added to file out.file. To produce a total binary accounting record of the ASCII output file out.file produced in example 1, enter the following line to an accounting shell script: /usr/sbin/acct/acctprc2 < out.file > /var/adm/acct/nite/daytacct The resulting binary total accounting file, written in the acct format, contains records sorted by user ID. This sorted user ID file, is usually merged with other total accounting records when an acctmerg command is processed to produce a daily summary accounting record called /var/adm/acct/sum/daytacct. To turn on process accounting, enter: /usr/sbin/acct/accton /var/adm/pacct To turn off process accounting, enter: /usr/sbin/acct/accton FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies the command path. Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: acct(8), acctcms(8), acctmerg(8), runacct(8) Functions: acct(2) delim off acctprc(8)