Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Files count mismatch when used with Tar with find Post 302577917 by rakeshkumar on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 09:16:09 AM
Old 11-30-2011
I am running SUSE 11, (sp2) on z/arch , its called z/linux

tar version is 1.26

Currently am not on the machine to try the above steps, will update you Tomm.

I have written a batch script which takes number of days input and archive the data(deletes the files which archived using --remove-file of tar) ,my script also restores the data to the location taking days input

i have tested it with 700 mb and it worked perfect but failed with 10GB ,

is there any tools available which archives and restore data in linux ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a data from several .tar,.gz files

Hi I have a several files with .tar or .gz in a known location. i have files with one of the several files of .tar or .gz text.txt help.pl move.txt how do i write a script to find out those particular files .tar or .gz where that contains the above mentioned files (i.e,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two files and find mismatch

hi i have two files and i want to compare both the files and find out mismatch in 3rd file file1 00354|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 52424|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 43236|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 41404|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 79968|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 file2 00354|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|1|2 52424|1|0|1|1|0|0|0|0|2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find String mismatch

Hi, I have a doubt when searching files for the existence of a particular key. I have a property file has data with key and value pair like below and i call it as property file.ini here are the contents in File: popertyfile.ini location.property=2 agent.method=begin newkey=23 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive

Hi Folks, I have a tar.gz compressed file with me, and I want to know the number of files in the archive without uncompressing it. Please let me know how I can achieve it. Regards RK Veluvali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files older than and containing then tar.

I'm tring to: find files recursively older than x days that contain dat or DAT then tar them I can find the files older than 90 days containing dat with this: find . -mtime +90 -type f -name "*dat*" -exec tar -cvvfp /some/path/some.tar {} \; but how do I do it case insensitive? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find *.tar files under all subdirectories

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting... I've a situation like to find *.tar files under all subdirectories in "/home/abcd" and i used the below, find /opt/lhapp ! -name "temp" | more the above works fine.. Now don't need search few direcotries like "/home/abcd/aaaa",... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count mismatch in UNIX

Hi, I have a requirement like below. client is sending the .txt filles.In that file we have 10 records but when I execute the below command it is showing 9 records. klena20> wc -l sample_file.txt|awk '{print $1}' It is showing the output as 9 But in a file records are 10. I found... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Syllable count mismatch

Hello, I have written a syllable splitter for Pseudo English and Indic. I have a large database with the following structure Syllables in Pseudo English delimited by |=Syllables in Devanagari delimited by | The tool produces syllables in both scripts. An example is given below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies
updadmin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updadmin(8)

NAME
updadmin - Invokes the Update Installation Cleanup utility to remove or archive backup files created by an Update Installation SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/updadmin DESCRIPTION
The updadmin command invokes the Update Administration Cleanup utility, which removes or archives the backup files that were created by an Update Installation process. There are no flags or options associated with this command. Running this utility is an optional step after performing an Update Installation, but it is recommended if you want to recover disk space being consumed by these backup files. The backup files that are created by an Update Installation have these extensions: *.PreMRG - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized protected system file. System files in this category are system files that are expected to be customized by users, for example, /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts. If the automatic merge process fails to merge the new version of the file with your customizations to the file, your customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the file when the Update Installation is complete. The *.PreMRG version is a copy of the file as it existed before the Update Installation and only will be present if the automatic merge fails. *.PreUPD - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized unprotected system file as it existed before the Update Installa- tion. System files in this category are system files that are not expected to be customized by users, for example, /usr/bin/X11/netscape. If an unprotected system file is altered in any way, customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the system file when the Update Installation is complete. When you are finished merging your customizations into the new version of the file, these backup files no longer are needed, and they can be removed or archived. The Update Installation Cleanup utility gives you the option to archive or remove all backup files, or to select only the files you want. You are prompted to enter an archive destination if you decide to archive the files. The Update Installation Cleanup utility uses the tar(1) command to create the archive, and the archive destination can be any archive des- tination supported by the tar command, including tape devices. The default archive location is the backup.tar file in the /var/adm/update/ directory. You can use any file name you want, but if you want the file to have a extension, you must enter it as part of the file name. If the file name exists, it is overwritten. You have the option to compress the archive file with the gzip utility; if you do, a extension is appended automatically. Unless you compress the archive file, the space savings realized by archiving to a tar file on disk will be only in moving the files from the / (root), /usr, or /var file systems to the file system containing the archive. To save disk space, archive the files to tape. To archive to a tape device in tar format, enter archive destinations similar to the following: /dev/tape/tape0c - archives to a default density rewind tape (with compression) /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 - archives to a nonrewind tape device 0. The _d0 suffix specifies the density. If you are archiving to a nonrewind tape device, it is recommended to use a brand new or erasable tape. On systems capable of graphical display, the updadmin command invokes a graphical user interface to the Update Installation Cleanup util- ity. On systems that are not capable of graphical displays, a text-based, menu-driven user interface is invoked. The Update Installation Cleanup utility is also available as a task from the SysMan Menu. To view the online help for the Update Installation Cleanup utility without running the utility, use the following command: # /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/updadmin.sdl RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to use the Update Installation Cleanup utility. If your system has not been updated to the next version of the operating system by the Update Installation process, the Update Installation Cleanup utility cannot be invoked. FILES
Update Administration Cleanup utility Contains the online help for the Update Administration Cleanup utility. Default location of the ar- chive file SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), gzip(1), sysman(8), installupdate(8) Installation Guide updadmin(8)