Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with the functionality of the last (&/or who) command. Post 302577747 by agama on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 09:15:06 PM
Old 11-29-2011
This is a hack, and probably not the way I'd do it for anything other than a quick script, but it uses last to print the last 'n days' worth of users who were logged in. Prevents dups if a user logs in more than once per day and will not work with a BSD version of last.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh
# $1 from command line is number of days to go back; assuming someone 
# logged in each day (doesn't handle days where nobody logged in)

last -F -R | awk '
    BEGIN { soup = "JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec"; }

NF < 6 || /reboot/ || /begins/ || /still logged/ {next;}   # skip rubbish

{
        m = int(index( soup, $4 ) / 3) + 1;     #convert month name to int
        d = sprintf( "%4d%02d%02d", $7, m, $5 );   # build a sortable date
        if( ! seen[d,$1]++ )
            who[d] = who[d] $1 " ";            # create user list by date
    }

END {
        for( w in who )                 # for each user list print
            print w, who[w];
    }
' | sort -k 1n,1 | tail -${1:-15}
exit

Last edited by agama; 11-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restartibility Functionality....

Hello, I am trying to write a script that has a option of restarting the script from where it failed. I have to write a script called Batch.sh. This script has to run quite a few sql files as shown below: logcmd.sh -f test1.sql logcmd.sh -f test2.sql logcmd.sh -f test3.sql logcmd.sh -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

2. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp && rm command, rm: <file> not removed. No such file or directory

Hi, I am running this is korn shell cp $source/$fname $dest/dir && rm $source/$fname This was returned: rm: /dir/file not removed: No such file or directory The file could be found in the $dest directory which meant the cp was success. The above code is used in a for loop to move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep 10 && command doesn't work

Hi there, I found a trick to easily postpone a command by a few seconds: supernova:~# sleep 10 && command &If you logout, the command should still be executed... But not all the time. Could anyone of you explain me why the following command is executed even after logging out: supernova:~# sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm & tcsh & sourcing a script in a single command

Hi friends, I have a script that sets the env variable path based on different conditions. Now the new path variable setting should not done in the same terminal or same shell. Only a new terminal or new shell should have the new path env variable set. I am able to do this only as follows: >cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowmya005
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Functionality

Hi everyone, today i need that someone help to understand this particular line of command. So you can explain to me step by step, it will be great. ---------- Post updated at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:51 AM ---------- (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input while another command is running &&

This script runs tshark, then displays the output. I want to read a keypress at all times throughout this script, especially during the 10 seconds that tshark is running. This code however, only takes input before tshark runs. #!/bin/bash main() { while (( "1" == "1" )) ; do keypress &&... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiah07
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If && command giving wrong output

Hi All, I am trying to run a script which will search for 2 strings(stopped,started) in a text file and echo an output depending on below condition -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.txt v ggg f -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.sh VAR9=` grep 'stopped' /tmp/trial1.txt` VAR10=` grep 'started'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command functionality - discussed

what is the following bash command does grep `date +%Y-%m-%d --date='1 day ago'` /path/to/file/FILE_PREFIX_\`date +%Y%m%d --date='1 day ago'`.dsv | grep -v 'ERROR' | cut -d "|" -f 2 | sed 's/^0/27/' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tera
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)