Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting only a number can be entered no letters? Post 302577709 by Scott on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 06:02:43 PM
Old 11-29-2011
There's also a good answer from cfajohnson to a quite similar question here:

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...g-command.html

Closing this thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting rid of $ when entered at the command line

Hi everyone, Can someone possibly help me with this problem I am having please. I wrote a Korn shell script to manipulate currency amounts in a way that a person could use this script to determine the minimum number of coins required to make a certain amount. for example when entered on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashirpopal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

3. Programming

output the letters of the alphabet with the number of occurrences

hi, I'm trying to create a program that will read a file and then check the file for each letter of the alphabet and then output the letter and the number of times it appears in the file, into a new file... this is what i have so far but it's not working.. if anyone could help that would be nice!... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: svd
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating user entered date

I need the date validation. I searched in the google but i didn't find my requirements. requirements: 1) user has to enter the date in YYYY/MM/DD format 2) MM validations 3) DD validations. and if the month is april it should allow 30 days only and for May month it should allow 31 days like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue script if right word is not entered?

Hello, I am writing a script and in this script, I want to be able to have the script continue running if the correct word is not entered... Here is an excerpt from me script: read request if ; then echo "You have asked for the System Temperature..." cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niconico96
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to find number of uppercase and lowercase letters.

Hello Guys, I am writing a script which check each line for how many Uppercase and Lowercase letter of a given file. Please check my script as follow: l=0 while read line do echo Line `expr $l + 1` has ` tr -cd "" < $line | wc -c` uppercase letters and `tr -cd "" < $line | wc -c`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasparov
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking whether the entered text is file or not

how to check that the "file path" entered by the user has the valid file. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept command line argument as character or text if number is entered?

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert number entered in command line argument to text or Character so that in next step i will convert Chr to Hex (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadityapatel198
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user?

Say I have this line: read -p "Enter 3 numbers: " num1 num2 num3; I want to write a while loop that repeatedly asks for input if the number of inputs entered is not equal to 3. I don't know the correct command to find the number of inputs entered. Help, please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jejemonx
4 Replies
yodlletter(7)						    Your Own Document Language						     yodlletter(7)

NAME
yodlletter - Yodl's `letter' document type SYNOPSIS
letter(language)(date)(subject)(opening)(salutation)(author) The letter document type was implemented to write LaTeX letters. DESCRIPTION
The letter document type was specifically implemented to write LaTeX letters, using LaTeX's brief.cls document class. It is available only for the LaTeX (yodl2latex(1)) converter. This manual page briefly describes Yodl's letter document type. This document type is specific enough that it warrants a separate man- page. letter documents do not allow you to use the `standard' sectioning commands (e.g., sect() and subsect()). You can, however, use macros that are normally used within such sections, such as description(), itemization(), bf() or em(). Several specific macros, to be used in the preamble, are available for the letter document type. They are: o AfourEnlarged(): Enlarges the usable height of A4 paper by 2 cm.: the top margin is reduced by 2 cm. o letteraddenda(type)(value): Adds an addendum at the end of a letter. type should be bijlagen (i.e., appendices), cc or ps. Use nl() within the value section if multiple addenda of a certain type are used. o letteradmin(yourdate)(yourref): Puts yourletterfrom and yourreference elements in the letter. If left empty, two dashes are inserted. o letterfootitem(name)(value): Puts a footer at the bottom of letter-pages. Up to three will usually fit. For example, o letterreplyto(name)(address)(zip city): Defines the `reply to' address. o letterto(element): Adds element as an additional line to the address of the addressee. Use one element for each line of the addressee's address. Up to five lines will usually fit. A sixth line may be squeezed in, if necessary. The letter) macro itself requires the following arguments: o language: select english, dutch, or another language supported by the babel.sty style; o date: the letter's date. Use your own date-convention. The text specified here will be used as the letter's date; o subject: a short indication as to why you wrote the letter o opening: the letter's opening, e.g., Dear Linus,; o salutation: the letter's closing phrase, e.g., Kind regards,; o author: the name of the letter's author. nl() macros can be used here, but the brief class will also restrict the width of the author-lines by itself. SEE ALSO
latex(1), yodlstriproff(1), yodl(1), yodlbuiltins(7), yodlconverters(1), yodlletter(7), yodlmacros(7), yodlmanpage(7), yodlpost(1), yodlverbinsert(1). BUGS
- AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl), yodl_3.00.0.tar.gz 1996-2010 yodlletter(7)