Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Red Hat 5.5 live backup/restore Post 302577500 by strooma on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 07:41:16 AM
Old 11-29-2011
Red Hat 5.5 live backup/restore

Hello,

I'm trying to take a live backup of a red hat 5.5 64 bit server (with LVM).
Afterwards I want to restore this backup on an empty server, so basicly I want to dublicate the server.
But when I boot the server after the restore, I get stuck at "GRUB _" and changing the menu.lst-file doesn't appear to work

I found the method I used, described here: "http://www.backupcentral.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_%26_Windows_Bare_Metal_Recovery"
But as they mention somewhere on the website, it is apparently only for servers without LVM, which is probably the reason why it doesn't work... or isn't it?

Can anyone help me with this? And otherwise propose me another solution?

Thank you,

Matthias

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Red Hat AS 2.1 Backup O/S

Hello, I have a Red Hat As 2.1 server and need to make a backup of the entire system, something similar to AIX's mksysb or HP-UX's Ignite, in case configuration changes that need to be made fail. Is this possible with RH AS 2.1? If so, how would this be accomplished? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zuessh
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

backup/restore vir machine manager in red hat

Hi, I use virtual machine manager in red hat linux 5.4 . I create the guest host in the virtual machine manager... How can I backup and restore the guest host ?? Any detailed procedure ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Setting Up live FTP Server with Static IP in Red-Hat Linux 6

Hi Guys, I want to some guidance from you in setting up the Live FTP server in Redhat Linux 6 with Static IP 120.50.150.50. Now should I set my Static Public IP directly to my Linux machine? If so what whould be my sunbet mask? Is any type of natting required here? if so where would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Backup of Red Hat Linux 5.9 Tikanga based server through Acronis 11.5

Hii, We are running a server with Red Hat Linux 5.9 tikanga version. We have scheduled the online image backup of the server through Acronis 11.5, the CPU utilization of the server is increasing upto 100%. and after sometime the server is going down. Can anyone help on the same?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivek Kr Porwal
2 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) VGCFGRESTORE(8)