Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: menu + awk + while + case
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers menu + awk + while + case Post 302577441 by me. on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 05:10:02 AM
Old 11-29-2011
the "2" instead of " " " was typo, does it work for you? strange because it doesnt display output of
Code:
choice1=$(ls -l|awk '{print $9 $1}')

or
Code:
choice2=$(ls | wc -c)

it just exits when I enter " 3 "

I read online tutorials and got a Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide but I need a while with scripts to be on the level when I look at the code and find errors. Just now I am on the errors making level . . .

I am pasting full script, can you tell me if that works for as it should,
Code:
#!/bin/bash
choice=0
choice1=$(ls -l|awk '{print $9 $1}')
choice2=$(ls | wc -c)
choice3=exit

while [ $choice -ne 3 ]
do

clear

echo " ========================================= "
echo " = 1) display diles and permissions only = "
echo " = 2) calculate numbers of bytes         = "
echo " = 3) exit                               = "
echo " ========================================= "

echo -n "       enter a number : "
read choice

case "$choice" in
1 ) echo " $choice1 "  ;;
2 ) echo " $choice2 " ;;
3 ) exit ;;
esac
done

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk case-insensitive

can I tell awk to be case insensitive for one operation without setting the ignorecase value ? thanks, Steffen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear Case, Awk and script

Hello. I should have asked this awhile ago but here is my situation. My task is to generate LOC for different directories. I have a text file that has dates in this format (01-Aug-2006). My task is to read each line and compare it to a branch date. Depending on the date, it should generate a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what the awk do in this case

#!/bin/sh nowpwd=`pwd` cd $VAMPIRE_HOME configFile=$VAMPIRE_CFG/vampire.cfg inpuFileName=`awk -F\= '{ if ($1 == "PrepFilePos.InpFilePosDepo") { printf("%s",$2) exit 0 }}' < $configFile` I need to know what the awk doing here and what is the expected result here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive search with AWK

Hi All, How we can perform case-insensitive search with AWK.:rolleyes: regards, Sam (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk maintain case query

# Print list of word frequencies { $0 = tolower($0) for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) counter++ } END { for (word in counter) printf "%s\t%d\n",word, counter } I have this simple awk code from awk user guide to count the frequency of word. Now consider the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajacobs365
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two columns output in simple case menu?

EDIT : System used : Any Linux distribution. Hello everyone, I m having quite a headache trying to figure out why I m having a 2 columns output in the following code : #!/bin/ksh menu_rotation() { #Variables CHOIX1="Rotation 1" CHOIX2="Rotation 2" CHOIX3="Rotation 3" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu and case statement scripting

hi all i am trying to get help with writing a script using case statement to display menu as 1) Authentication log 2) System log 3) Messages 4) Dmesg 5) Boot log Q) Exit When selecting the menu by 1 or 2 or 3 o 4 or 5, it should display the last 10 lines of the log files, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special case to skip function in bash menu

In the bash menu below if the variant that is inputted is in the format NM_004004.3:c.274G>T the below works perfectly. My question is if the variant inputted isNM_004004.3:-c.274G>T or NM_004004.3:+c.274G>T then the code as is will throw an error due to a biological issue. Is it possible to to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)													       MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)

mssql_num_fields - Gets the number of fields in result

SYNOPSIS
int mssql_num_fields (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
mssql_num_fields(3) returns the number of fields in a result set. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of fields, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_num_fields(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database $link = mssql_connect('KALLESPCSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php', $link); // Select some data from our database $data = mssql_query('SELECT [name], [age] FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct a table echo '<table border="1">'; $header = false; // Iterate through returned results while ($row = mssql_fetch_array($data)) { // Build the table header if (!$header) { echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; for ($i = 1; ($i + 1) <= mssql_num_fields($data); ++$i) { echo '<td>' . ucfirst($row[$i]) . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; echo '<tbody>'; $header = true; } // Build the row echo '<tr>'; foreach($row as $value) { echo '<td>' . $value . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; } // Close table echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Clean up mssql_free_result($data); mssql_close($link); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_query(3), mssql_fetch_field(3), mssql_num_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)