Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need explanation a of command in linux Post 302577003 by balajesuri on Monday 28th of November 2011 01:46:38 AM
Old 11-28-2011
. <path/filename> will let the contents of that file be available to shell.

For e.g. you have a file "test.fn" (shown below) in the current directory. In it, you have written a function to add 2 numbers.

Code:
#! /bin/bash
add ()
{
    echo `expr $1 + $2`
}

Now, if you were to do this at the command prompt: ". test.fn", then the function "add" will be available for use at the command prompt.

You can do this at the command prompt: add 1 2
and the output will be 3

So the function add in test.fn file acts like a command. To unset this, you can say "unset add" and add will no longer be available at command prompt.

And try this line:
CM_ENV_FILE='/data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat//etl/cm3_0/entities/BBME/parameters/cm.env'
(without spaces around '=' and the path/filename in sinqle quotes)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line explanation

Hello everyone, I found this command line in a website: perl -pi.bak -we's/\z/Your new line\n/ if $. == 2;' your_text_file.txt With this command line you can insert a new line anywhere you want in a text without overwriting what's in it. -p causes perl to assume a loop around your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command explanation

can someone please explain the below sed command.. sed 's/\(*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the command sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml

Hi Friends, I am trying to modify a script .The script contains this line: sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml I am not great in sed command.I know, it is regular expression to match a pattern string that starts with s_ and ends with 1_.I doesnot give the desired result. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command explanation

can anyone please tell me what does this expression means , i am under probation and need some explanation :) $AUDIT_DIR -type f -mtime +$AUDIT_EXPIRE \ -exec rm {} > /dev/null 2>&1 \; AUDIT_DIR="/var/log/" AUDIT_EXPIRE='30' Please use code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic Explanation of Match command in Linux

I am debugging a script and have stuck up at one code line awk -F , '{if (match($3,001)) { print $2 } }' Master20120307090511.tmp The Master20120307090511.tmp is 001,ARE , 001 002,ARE , 002 003,ARE , 003 006,ARE , 006 011,ARE , 011 012,ARE , 012 What happens is when i fire this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the sort command

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone could please break down and explain the following sort command for me: ls ${DEST_LOCATION}/${FILES} | sort -rt -k 4,4n | head -1 I have tried working it out using 'man sort', but on AIX there is not a great explanation of this function. I know that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation of Nawk command

Hi Folks, I am struggling to understand nawk command which was used by another developer. Can you please explain what each character or string is doing here below: if ; then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
3 Replies
add directory(1m)														 add directory(1m)

NAME
add directory - Adds a value to a modifiable, set-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp add directory directory-name attribute-name = attribute-value ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. The name of a particular attribute. Specify only one attribute at a time. See the cds_attributes file for the list of attributes that your application uses. attribute-value The value of a particular attribute. The value of an application- defined attribute is dependent on the type of attribute. See the cds_attributes file for the list of attributes and corresponding data types that your application uses. If you enter a byte data type, you must enter an even number of digits in length. You can only enter pairs of hexadecimal values for user-defined attributes. DESCRIPTION
The add directory command adds a value to a modifiable, set-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory. If the attribute does not exist, this command creates it. Usually, this task is performed through the client application. See the DCE Admin- istration Guide for more information about attributes. Privilege Required You must have write permission to the directory. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
To add the value ontario to the attribute myname of a directory named /.:/sales, read the cds_attributes file to verify that the attribute shown in the following display exists: OID LABEL SYNTAX 1.3.22.1.3.91 myname char Enter the following command to assign the value ontario to the attribute myname: cdscp> add directory /.:/sales myname = ontario RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: remove directory(1m), show directory(1m) Books: OSF DCE Administration Guide add directory(1m)