Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK exclude first and last record, sort and print Post 302576042 by agama on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 12:44:35 PM
Old 11-23-2011
More detail is always good Smilie

You're seeing the last line come out at top because you're not closing the pipe to the sort command and thus your print is happening before sort finishes and prints it's output. Here's my solution, which also doesn't require knowing the number of records between before hand:

Code:
awk '
    NR == 1 { print; next; }
    {
        if( last )
            print last | "sort -k2nr,2";
        last = $0;
    }

END {
        close( "sort -k2nr,2" );   # finish sort let sort print
        print last;
    }
' input-file

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to exclude a record from unix file

I want to exclude records from my unix file that have a specific pattern. How can I do this? Thanks. Ryan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print Full record and substring in that record

I have i got a requirement like below. I have input file which contains following fixed width records. 00000000000088500232007112007111 I need the full record and concatenated with ~ and characters from 1to 5 and concatenated with ~ and charactes from 10 to 15 The out put will be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - sort, then print the high value for each group

Hi @ all I'm trying to achive to this problem, I've a 2-column composed file as the following: 192.168.1.2 2 192.168.1.3 12 192.168.1.2 4 192.168.1.4 3 cpc1-swan1-2-3-cust123.swan.cable.ntl.com 4 192.168.1.3 5 192.168.1.2 10 192.168.1.4 8... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: m4rco-
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print record with both string1 and string2

How do I use awk to find the records in a file that contains two specific strings? I have tried piping and using awk two times, but I don't know how to do it in one action. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all the fields of record using awk

Hi, i want to generate print statement using awk. i have 20+ and 30+ fields in each line Now its priting only first eight fields print statement as output not all. my record is as shown below filename ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK script]Counting the character in record and print them in condition

.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antonlee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print initial record and double

I have an initial record 0.018 I would like a script that would for i=0;i<200;i++ print 0.018*1 0.018*2 0.018*3 0.018*4 ... 0.018*200 using newline. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print record not equal specific pattern

how to use "awk" to print any record has pattern not equal ? for example my file has 5 records & I need to get all lines which $1=10 or 20 , $2=10 or 20 and $3 greater than "130302" as it shown : 10 20 1303252348212B030 20 10 1303242348212B030 40 34 1303252348212B030 10 20 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print matching records and occurences of each record

Hi all , I have two files : dblp.xml with dblp records and itu1.txt with faculty members records. I need to find out how many dblp records are related to the faculty members. More specific: I need to find out which names from itu1.txt are a match in dblp. xml file , print them and show how many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iori
4 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm } DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when complicated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
As of Perl 5.10, this pragma is lexically scoped and takes effect at compile time. In earlier versions its effect was global and took effect at run-time; the documentation suggested using "eval()" to change the behaviour: { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } Such code no longer has the desired effect, for two reasons. Firstly, the use of "eval()" means that the sorting algorithm is not changed until runtime, by which time it's too late to have any effect. Secondly, "sort::current" is also called at run-time, when in fact the compile-time value of "sort::current" is the one that matters. So now this code would be written: { use sort qw(defaults _quicksort); # force quicksort no sort "stable"; # stability not wanted my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @a = sort @b; # Pragmas go out of scope at the end of the block } { use sort qw(defaults stable); # force stability my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @c = sort @d; } perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 sort(3pm)